Chapter 28 - Metropolitan Scuffle

Tangle and Whisper found themselves stranded in the middle of Central City, separated from their entire squad with the exception of each other. Stranded in a city overrun by a wave of enemies even larger than the first one that had attacked the city. It was just them, a small rag tag team of soldiers, and a whole army of robots right on their doorstep.

The entire squad was forced to retreat to the very edge of the city, as it was the only section of the city that wasn't under the Empire's control. And with there only being one spot left to conquer, every single trooper from the Empire who were currently invading the city grouped up to gang up on the sole survivors and take the final chunk of the city for their own.

But the Empire were being smart, they marched toward their destination with a light pink-ish shield with hexagon patterns protecting them from any sort of incoming artillery. And there weren't nearly enough people on the Alliance's side to just jump into the shield and fight the hordes themselves. They were, quite literally, out of options.

"Artillery guns, machine guns, my Wisps, nothing is even coming close to penetrating their shield." moaned Whisper, losing hope and giving into despair.

"Agh, don't give up just yet Whisper!" replied Tangle, trying to lift up some spirits. "We'll think of something, I'm sure of it. But we need to act fast, they're starting to get close."

The Empire's forces were approximately about 2 and a half miles away from where the Alliance was, so they still had a little bit of time to plan their resistance. Tangle and Whisper observed their enemies from the balcony of a really tall building very similar to the spire in Graffiti City. Not only to see what exactly they were dealing with, but also using that information to think of some sort of strategy to successfully fight back and free the city.

"Have a you found anything, Whisper?" inquired Tangle.

"Nothing but a sea of robots." sighed Whisper. She then zoomed in on a large, peculiar object that was shaped like an old school video game console, but much larger.

"Wait, what's that?!" said Whisper after discovering said object.

"What's what?" asked Tangle, her interest instantly peaking.

"There's some sort of...box like thing in the center of the group." informed Whisper. "Could that possibly be the shield generator?"

"If we sneak in there undetected, we could destroy it, knocking down their shield and letting our big guns light 'em up!" said Tangle who's expression grew happier and more optimistic throughout the sentence. "But...how are we gonna get past all of them?" Tangle's optimism quickly diminished as she realized that actually getting to the generator would be harder than she thought.

"I could do it." responded Whisper calmly, turning to Tangle. "I could sneak by everybody and take out their shield. But it would have to be just me, I need you to stay with the soldiers in case things go South."

"Aw, I would love to go with you." whined Tangle. "But yeah, if they wind up reaching us, I'm the only hope they got. And besides, I'm a little too rowdy and we would easily get caught."

There was a long pause between the two as Whisper prepared herself for the objective. Tangle began rubbing the back of her head nervously, feeling worried for her comrade and dear friend.

"I'm just worried about you. I'm not sure if you're gonna make it back, and what would I do if I didn't? You're my partner."

"I'll be alright, don't worry." assured Whisper who came dangerously close to cracking a smile. "I've been involved in several espionage missions, I think I can sneak past a few mindless machines."