III. DEAR MS BENSON

III. DEAR MS BENSON
__________

Aurora's pointed grey eyes scanned the pages over and over, reading each letter and word carefully. The decorated envelope lay neatly open on the desk in front of her. She had removed the dark red, wax stamp from the thick paper, twirling it in her hand, finding an outlet for the excitement bubbling within her. She reached the end of the letter once more, and found all the words were still the same: 'Dear Ms Benson... you have been accepted at Hogwarts School... term begins on the first of September... yours sincerely, Minerva McGonagall...'

The maid knocked on her door, pushing it ajar. "G'morning, miss Benson. Happy birthday. Breakfast's served in the dining room."

"Thank you, Dolly," Aurora replied absentmindedly, her mind only on the parchment. But Dolly the maid didn't leave. Instead, she peeked her head in.

"Is that it? Your letter?" she asked, an excited smile crossing her lips.

Aurora nodded just as enthusiastically. The maid nodded proudly, before trotting down the corridor to continue her work. Aurora pulled the most comfortable dress she could find out of her closet and slipped into it before bouncing down the stairs, the Hogwarts letter still clutched between her fingers.

She had turned eleven today. Eleven was much more of a grand age than ten, she thought. Eleven sounded very mature, so she walked through the corridors with her head held high, her long hair flowing behind her. She'd be a real witch now. She'd go to Hogwarts, study in the same places Salazar Slytherin had once roamed and learn the same subjects as the Dark Lord had done, a thought that didn't fill her with as much pride and honour as her parents wished it would have.

Katherine and Robert were already seated at the long dinner table in their usual spots when Aurora walked in. She stopped in the entrance, her hands her behind her back as she looked at her parents with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Good morning!"

"Good morning," Robert replied, amusement spreading across his face. "Happy birthday, Aurora."

"Do you have something to show us?" Katherine cut in harshly, her face sour as it had been every day for the last year.

All amusement and caring had been wiped from her soulless eyes, because it was happening right in front of her. Her daughter—the girl she had raised with painstaking precision—was growing up. She was changing, no longer the subservient little girl who looked up at her with wonder and love—no, that look had turned into spite and rebellion. No longer did the girl say what her parents wanted her to or do what they told her to, and it made Katherine furious.

Aurora couldn't be bothered to let her good mood be spoiled by her sour mother and crossed the room to her father's side. She handed him the letter, waiting patiently for him to react.

A smile that showed the wrinkles around his mouth widened on his face. "I never doubted you for a second, Aurora. Well done. We'll go to Diagon Alley in the summer to purchase your school items, and perhaps a pet to keep you company?"

"Really?" Aurora asked, her eyebrows shooting to her hairline. "Could I get a cat?"

"If you want."

"Brilliant."

"When Draco, Daphne and the other children get their letters we'll be able to set up those summer lessons we discussed, Robert," Katherine spoke.

Aurora frowned, turning to her. "Summer lessons?"

"Yes, we expect your grades to reflect your blood status. It won't look good on the family or Slytherin house if the heir to the Benson fortune fails all her classes."