V. (WHERE DWELL) THE BRAVE AT HEART

_________

The vibration of the Hogwarts Express rang through Aurora's body, reaching from where her head rested against the window all the way down to her toes. Zeppie lay curled on her lap, purring contently. Her mother's words still rang through her head, warning her, threatening her, but Katherine's fear mongering rarely did anything anymore except inspire the burning fire inside Aurora's stomach.

The conversations of her friends went on around her, but she felt no spark of light within her, no motivation to put a smile on her face and join them. Yet, inside there was joy as she watched the English countryside go by. Vast expanses of grassy meadows, sky-reaching mountain ranges and large, glistening lakes surrounded by massive forests sped by too fast to take a good look.

As the hours passed, the sky swirled and transformed, light catching the clouds at different angles, spreading a colourful palette. The sun set gradually, the moon rising to replace it; a thin crescent line, indicating the beginning of a new moon cycle.

Her first year at Hogwarts, the beginning of her school career. The beginning of her life away from Benson manor. She was overjoyed. No more dark hallways or cold, marble floors. No more chill, blue air or boggarts hiding inside every forgotten closet or cupboard, waiting to jump out and show you your greatest fear. But beneath that excitement, there was anxiety.

Katherine had been clear of her expectations, had voiced them at every chance she got. She was to get into Slytherin, get top marks in all her classes and not get into any trouble. All of these, Aurora reckoned, were entirely possible attain. Quite easily, actually, with all of those summer classes. She had heard that the sorting hat did take your opinion into deliberation, and she did truly wish to be in Slytherin. It would make all their lives so much easier. Still, the threat of Katherine's expectations clung to her like thorned vines.

The compartment had grown silent with the darkening of the outside. Draco and Blaise were playing an intense game of wizard chess on the floor, only making noise to call out their next move. Theodore was in his own little world, his eyes glued to the pages of the book he had brought.

With her feet resting on Aurora's lap, Daphne lay dozing off with her back against the compartment wall. She had even brought a special eye mask for that exact reason. Aurora gently removed Daphne's legs and stood from her seat. Shooing Draco and Blaise to the side, she reached for her luggage. From inside she grabbed her colourless robes.

"We should be arriving soon," Aurora announced. "I'm changing into my robes, you lot should do the same."

It seemed like she wasn't the only one who had that idea, as quickly the walkway began flooding with students. Aurora pushed her way through, slightly perturbed by the amount of people in one space and overwhelmed by the noise coming off them. Every step she took, another wild, exciting conversation reached her ears:

"I heard Ruby broke up with him because she'd gotten together with her stepbrother..."

"I don't like the way Filch looks at Mrs Norris... Don't feel right..."

"Oi! Give me back my wand!"

"D'you think Snape'll be back this year? Reckon he's pissed he didn't get the job again..."

"Not until you talk to me, please! I'm sorry—I love you!"

"Did you see him? Does he really have the scar?"

"You broke up with me, Ruby. Go bother Thomas or something..."

"I can't believe we're in the same year as Harry Potter."

"Yeah, man. Thought he'd be taller..."

Aurora stopped, looking up at the person who had spoken. "Excuse me?" She tapped their shoulder.