Chapter 27: Guilty

Other fun fact, this is a local band from my hometown. Anyhow, song if for the start of the chapter! 

I opened my eyes and looked around my room. All the emotions that I have felt the past few days seemed to dissolve as I remembered what day it was today. It was Christmas. My favorite holiday of them all. There was no time to be sad today. And with all the drama that had happened, I was so glad that the ice rink was closed for the next three days. I needed to separate myself from that life for a second.

I got out of my bed and shuffled my feet over to my oversized slightly wrinkled sweater with a yawn as I woke up. I walked over to the corner of the room and picked up a pair of black leggings. I sniffed them checking to see if I could wear them again. They smelt fresh so I put them on.

Now it was time to wake up the rest of the family. I went to Paulo's room first, finding him asleep, curled up in a ball on his bed. His bed was the only thing in his room clean, clothes and socks thrown around like a tornado found a home here. Leftover plates and cups from snacks he brought up but never finished laid on his nightstand. The room smelt musty and I remembered why I didn't often go in here.

"Paulo," I said as I hovered over him.

He wiggled in his sleep. He was always a sound sleeper. Both of my brothers were, but Paulo loved bed a little more than Jaimie.

"Paulo," I said louder.

Suddenly he jolted awake. He looked around the room with panic. His eyes then fell on me with a disapproving look. "What?" he asked, clearly not happy that I woke him.

"It's Christmas," I said with a smile.

"I know, El," he said as he laid back down on his bed. He pulled his large down comforter around his body and closed his eyes again. A slight smile was apparent on his face as he snuggled into his cozy spot.

He wanted to go back to sleep. But not on my watch. There was a reason why I went to his room first. He was the hardest to wake. He probably stayed up until 2 AM or later last night so waking up at 9 was rough. But I wasn't going to give up since mom and dad wouldn't let me open presents until everyone was up. "No, not today Paulo," I said and climbed into his bed.

He cracked his eyes open as I snuggled close to him. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"Making you uncomfortable," I said with a smirk as I scooched closer.

He shook his head as he wiggled away from me. "Ok you win. Stop El," Paulo said, waking up as he got out of bed with a smile.

I smiled at him. I won. "Yay! Let's wake up Jaimie," I said and winced as I felt my neck burn from my sudden move and excitement.

"El, are you ok?" Paulo asked as he sat down beside me, ready to move mountains if needed for me. Ever since the article was posted, Paulo was by my side, refusing to let me be alone. He was doing everything for me including being my support.

I never thought Paulo would change his personality so much when I first passed out. But I liked it. I liked this side of him and I wanted him to never change. I just Jaimie changed for the better, but he was still avoiding me like the plague even when he knew what Callum did to me. He refused to talk about it, brushing it off as if it was no big deal. But what Callum did was a big deal. It was a big enough deal that I had to turn off my phone because the whole rink kept texting me. 

I was waiting for the nationals committee to get in touch with us but so far it had been silent. I was just hoping it would stay silent. Maybe they didn't care. Maybe they didn't see the article. For now, I didn't care the reason, all I cared was that I was safe. I was still going to nationals.