Chapter One Homeland's Call

Alita stumbles away from the herd, her belly round and her hooves heavy. She lifted her head and began her trek to a safe spot to bring her foal into the world. She sighed as each hoof fall became harder to take. She traveled for hours until she reached the spot. The wind blew away from her, carrying the strong scent of sage and its crisp breath falling over her oak colored body. She made her final steps to the hollow, she laid down and in a few minutes there I am.

My deep brown eyes open and my gaze falls upon my mother. I shake my small head in confusion, but Alita nickers to me,"Hush young one you're safe, but now you must stand and go meet the rest of your family, Lila."
"How do I stand mother?" I whinny looking at my dark figure for the first time, I am a buckskin, soft heather yellow with a dark brown stripe down my back. My legs have dark brown socks that match my mane.
"You must learn yourself, my dear," Alita replied standing herself and my heart sunk, she was huge. Standing over me like a mountain with me a small pebble on the ground. But I am not about to give up, no this is my first chance to prove myself brave and strong. I move my legs under me and I get up shakily.

I look at Alita proudly and her soft brown eyes are round with shock,"You did that so fast, why all the foals I know of had to try at least twice before they could stand." She nickered then her voice shifted to pride,"You will be a great leader like your father."
I held my head high in pride as I stumbled after her refusing to fall. "What is the herd like Ma? Will they accept me?" I ask for the first time worry shoots through me.
"They will love you, you're father is their leader. Head mustang and you have great things ahead of you. Your father's name is Thunder." She whinnied slowing so she matched my pace.

"Are there any other horses in the herd?" I ask my steps getting easier to take as my muscles got used to working.
"Many, the second in command right now is Creek, he is old however and the one who is likely to take his place is young Saber. He is a yearling but he is large and is almost an adult. However, Saber isn't Thunder's son so Thunder could appoint you instead." She said slowly so the words could soak in.
My tail flicks and I leap ahead, my legs used to moving now. They are the longest part of me and are as long as Alita's. "Are there other horses or where did Saber come from if he isn't blood?" I ask as Alita keeps up with my prancing.

"Saber is Sky's son. Sky is a white mare, there are many mares and stallions in this herd. That is what makes us different, all the other herds banish their stallions but we keep them. Now no other herds dare take our mares because not only is Thunder the greatest stallion in the hills but he has Razor, a strawberry roan, Hawk a palomino, and Ice a pure white quarter horse from a ranch. He was once famous for racing. Dire a massive Clydesdale, and last but not least Wind a simple brown stallion who can run like the wind." She neighed reaching a cliff and looking over the valley below.

My heart skipped a beat and I froze my eyes soaking in the herd. My eyes flicking over each horse mother just described. I feel an exhilarating rush flooding every inch of my body. This is where I belong. Mother seemed to know there were no words to express what I feel. She nudged me on the shoulder with her head as if to say come on. I don't need telling twice. My legs stretch as I bolt down the cliff side, a smell of heather, horses, and crisp wind filling my nose as I inhale.
The sound of a peaceful stream going through the territory and the movement of the herd in my ears. All heads lift and turn to me. I hold my head high as they call welcome.
"Its Thunder's foal," said a paint mare.
"Quite a looker," nickered a tawny colt.
"Leave Thunder's foal alone, you don't even know if it's a filly Saber." Retorted a small Appaloosa filly.

I walk up to a buckskin stallion per mother's instruction. The buckskin towered over me making Alita look small, but his eyes were kind and his words were spoken in a caring way,"Hello Lila I am your father Thunder."
My eyes widen and stamp my front hooves in excitement, I even look like him! I think and he lowers his head and wraps his neck around mine. When he releases me he says,"Your mother says you stood up right away, this is a good Omen, you have great things to come."
"I will prove to you that I am strong and brave," I whinny wanting to give him a better reason to have high expectations then I stood up right away.
"Go meet your competition," murmured Thunder pointing his handsome buckskin head to a group of colts and fillies.

I nod and trot over to the group and they give a general cry of greeting. "Hey, I'm Lila." I neigh my sleek buckskin head held high telling them they aren't about to make fun of me.
"Hello Lila, the name's Saber," said the tawny colt who now that I get a good look at the group he is the largest but not the oldest.
"Yeah we all know the great Saber," said the Appaloosa filly,"my name is Rose welcome to the herd."
"Thank you, Rose," I neigh feeling that she would make a much better friend than Saber.
"I'm Josey," whinnied a black with one white sock and candle forelock.
"Hello Josey," I say dipping my head at the last foal in the group.
"We needed another colt in the group but you'll do," said Saber, "so how fast are you?" He asked striding forward, and I can tell he is the dominate one of the group. He expects me to back away. But I do not give him this honor as I stand my ground,"Faster than you I expect." I say flicking my tail contently. Rose and Josey whisper among themselves looking impressed. Saber looks like I bit him, he actually shakes his head to clear it.
"Prove it then, you and me from the stream to the lone pine." He says heatedly.
I look at the places indicated, the stream is close but I can barely see the single vertical log.
"Okay," I say more confidently than I really feel.
"Meet me at the next sunrise." He says walking off to his mother, Sky, I can tell because she is a snowy white mare.

I return to my mother as well given that Thunder is at the top of the cliff observing the valley and looking for dangers. Alita looks at me her large brown eyes knowing and I can tell she heard the whole thing.
"You're so much like your father." She nickered licking my upper shoulder blade. At her words, I swell with pride.
"How do I run that far?" I ask revealing my fear for the first time.
"Don't sprint right away, get a steady lope and then you have a chance." She says and I can tell she doesn't think I can win. To be honest with myself, I don't see how I can win against Saber, he is almost fully grown and has obviously practiced. I yawn and mother tells me I should get some sleep. So after feeding, I fall into a peaceful doze by my mother's side. My dreams are full of running horses and a thunderstorm.