Chapter Three The Chase

Twelve seasons have passed. I am now as big as Thunder, I do not have his bulk but he tells me that will come. Saber and I are both still eligible for Second in Command. My dark brown mane is longer as well as my tail. My buckskin pelt is the only one in the herd save Thunder's, but he rarely mingles with us. He is always watching for danger or at the front of the herd when we run. I am faster than Saber now and I have a close bond with an eagle. His name is Saeu and his wings span is eight feet, he is the only one I can really race with some competition.

My legs are a blur as my muscles carry me faster and faster over the rolling hills, Saeu's shadow is a tail length ahead of me. I push harder against the ground his shadow is getting closer! I bound over a stream my dark brown mane flying my heart full of joy. A limitless energy fills me, I give another burst of speed. Saeu's shadow is flitting in front of my hooves and he gives a caw of surprise I look up at him and whiny,"I am a breeze over the plain, reckless and wild as a storm over the land! Racing with the eagle soaring with the wind." Flying? There are times I believe I can! I think pushing on and Saeu's shadow is at my shoulder and he lets out a caw of indignity. I look up at him, a handsome sharp-featured head is dipped down to look at me. Eagle yellow eyes fixed on me with a playful spark dancing in them.  

We race and race until we reach the lone pine. A small clear stream made of cold drinking water. My sides heave from lasting effort. A great rushing wind comes over me. I look up to see Saeu perched stockily on one of the strongest branches of lone pine. He folds is long wings into his body and looks down at the stream. I nicker and shake my head, then lean down and gulp in the cold liquid. I hear a light impact and a slight breeze that lifts my mane. A small ripple joins mine on the lightly flowing stream. Saeu and I drink until our bellies are full. I walk into the stream, the heat still uncomfortable on my skin. 

I am knee deep and I look up at the mountains, so close but as I turn back toward the herd and cliff. Their figures are small even from this distance and I can tell the mountain is at least twice as far away as I am now. Maybe one day when I am even stronger I can go investigate. Or when the herd isn't so worried about me. In their eyes, I am still a reckless foal. Well, I'm still reckless but now I'm a restless and reckless three-year-old mustang. 

"Time to go back Saeu." I neigh to the handsome eagle. Who dips his head then extends his wings, a playful glint in his eyes. As if to say, race again? I leap out of the water and shake the water from my hair. Saeu jumps into the air, letting out an ear-splitting screech. He twists in the air and shoots off like a star. 
"Hey! No cheating!" I neigh and sprint after the swift eagle.

I smile inwardly as I blaze ahead of him my hooves barely touching the ground. I soar over the ground my mane and tail seeming to float. I am truly free and no one can take this from me, not the strongest storm not the mightiest mountain lion. I will never be tamed.

                                                                                             ***

"Been out all day again Lila?" Neighs Alita, her belly round with another foal. The sun has set and the sky is gray, making her dark brown hair look black.
"Yes! I beat Saeu!" I whinny digging in the ground with my front hoof in restlessness to do it again.
"I'm so proud of you," Alita smiles licking me on the upper shoulder blade like she did when I was a young foal. Enormous comfort fills me from her touch. I nicker shaking my head and wrap my neck around hers.
"Take care Alita." I neigh my soft brown eyes warm as I trot off. Alita watched me go, now I recognize how protective she had been over me. Never leaving me alone always watching out for me, even now her eyes follow me making sure I am safe. I have never minded she gives me inexpressible comfort.