Chapter 3

Kuvira's camp was bordered, surrounded by electric fences and guards at every gate. "We'll have to go underground," I said quietly, almost a whisper. It was a decision of either going fast and loud or slow and quiet. The fast was better, as long as there was someone who would guard is while we were doing it. It was simple, really, Wing took watch, while while Wei and I did the separating move of the earth. The exit was close, due north, so all we had to do was make a tunnel all the way far enough from the jail. For a good thirty or so minutes, we punched our way through the Earth. There was something wrong here, someone would of caught us by now. I didn't question it, though, I was happy to be where we were now. I could feel beyond the Earth Empire, where freedom lies. The security only looked above while "you can't look for an earthbender in the sky, you gotta look underground". Toph would tell us about the play when we were little and express that the actor that portrayed her did the best. A tear rolled down my cheek, I missed how our family was. It was perfect for us, all together in one piece. Someone interrupted my thoughts, it was Wei saying that we crossed the border and we can go up now. "No," I replied "we must stay underground until we are out of Kuvira's range" There was a river that was far enough away and we could build a make-shift boat to Republic City, without anyone catching us. We worked all night on that boat, cutting the wood into a canoe. We were tired, but not safe enough to sleep. The boat was rickety and hard to control, but we could make it. Hunger got the best of us before we could leave, and we had nothing to eat. "We'll hunt on the way if we see something, let's go!" I said to the two. Then, finally, we got in the boat and floated away.