CHAPTER 6.2

My last lecture was in Biology. Susan had a free period, so she went home early. She asked me whether she should wait for me, but I told her not to. I needed time to think about what's happening in my life. These supernatural creatures, the curse, Mom, and Ethan - all of these things made me worry about what lay ahead in the future. Mom said that I have to resist being turned into a wolf, whereas James warned me that he will come for me when I am eighteen years old and turn me into a wolf. This makes sense, at least according to the letter I found in Dad's office. What is this curse? I need to find out tonight. As I was passing by the woods, I stopped walking and turned my head to look inside. Who knew that these woods would hold so many secrets?

I opened the front door with my house keys and ran upstairs immediately. I had a shower and put on some comfy flannel pyjama bottoms and a plain grey top to go with it. I tied my hair into a long ponytail and put on my headphones. I put 'War of Hearts' by Ruelle on full volume. Her voice soothes me. I needed to relax. Too much stress will make me confused about what to do next.

Next on my agenda was to study Mathematics, and I had to put all of my attention into it. I have to get an A. Time went by faster than I thought it would, and before I could think about anything else, Dad came home. I left whatever I was doing. I immediately went downstairs and saw Dad lying on the couch half asleep. He must be really tired after working for three days. I should not disturb him now, but if I don't ask him today then when will I ever get this chance again? It was just 9 pm. Not too late to ask Dad an important question. After all, it's my right to ask him about this. Who else could I ask? If I had the choice to ask someone else about werewolves and curses and the supernatural, I would.

I sat down right in front of the couch. "Dad? Are you asleep?" I asked. There was no reply. Maybe I can try to tap his shoulder. Still nothing. I shook him more and more, and then some more till he was almost about to fall off the couch. I am such a bad daughter. "Hi."

Dad's black hair was all messed up. His brown and white suit was embedded with permanent creases. He had never looked like the Dad that I imagined him to be. He was handsome, per se. His blue eyes were what had made my Mom fall deeply in love with him. She would always brag about that. And I wouldn't disagree. My Dad had perfect fair skin, a perfect body (yes, no tummy), perfect hair and he smelled perfectly of lavender and roses. I wonder how was he still single? I would think that the women in his office would be ready to pounce on him. But that is not my area of expertise, so...

"Oh hi, sweetheart." He sat up, combing his hair with his fingers to make them look decent. "Is there a problem?"

"Yes...I mean no.....I mean yes and no." I don't know why I said that. I really don't.

"Did someone bully you again?" he asked in a casual manner. Wow, so he thinks I am not brave enough to handle bullies, and that's the biggest problem in my life right now. Great. I am looking forward to this conversation. God kill me!

"NO! Dad, I was in the third grade that one time and the only thing Kate did to bully me then was eating my lunch. So just forget about that, will you?" I said in embarrassment and tried to avoid making eye contact with him.

"Okay," he nodded and continued, "So you had a fight with Susan, or you are sad that you got a B in Math?"

"Dad, I am not a kid anymore to come to you with such silly problems. Can you just hear me out for once?" I said as clearly as possible, to make him understand that this is something serious and not a joke.

"I am sorry, Anna but the last time you wanted help was in the 7th grade. You don't talk to me about your life. I want to know more about you, but either you are not willing to tell me, or I am too busy with work. So I am sorry if I can't guess your problem correctly." He was clearly guilty, and I was the reason why. Maybe I expected too much from him. He was speaking the truth, and I knew it. I used to share every single detail of my life with my Mom and once Mom left, I started sharing things with Susan. In all this mess, I forgot that my Dad still loves me like he always did and that he had not left me as Mom had. I, on the other hand, was angry at him for hiding things for me.