CHAPTER 19.1

Spring break gave me enough time to recover from my injury. This whole month felt like a roller coaster ride of events and emotions. I had wanted to end the whole James problem forever, but I failed to do that. 

The accident took more time out from my life than I expected it to. Though I am thankful that I can walk to school, there are a lot of things I still have left to do. After that day in the hospital, I have not spoken to Dad at all. I do not regret it in the slightest. With what attitude should I talk to him now? And what should I call him? Whenever he wanted to talk to me, I pretended that I was sleeping or busy with work; this was the only way to show him I was not ready to talk yet.

Most of my time was spent learning and revising for the school curriculum, and finishing my homework.

 Susan came over to help me whenever possible, but she never asked me about that night again. I am thankful that she understands not to bring it up. 

Ethan also used to come by, usually with food to remind me to stay healthy and not skip meals. He made me truly happy. I liked him and he liked me back - although we had not spoken about the topic yet. Two weeks was enough time for a break before I could start fresh. I was ready to face the questions that people had.

Was I? Yes.

I stood in front of my locker and loaded it with all the books that I needed this semester. In six months, my first year of high school will be over. Looking back on the first day, I never imagined that I would make it through even this far. My class schedule is almost the same as before - only the subject timings are different on some days. My locker looked cleaner than other lockers because I hardly had time to use it – I was busy focusing on my problems outside of school. I have somehow survived the first few months of high school; I hope to carry on and survive the rest too.

"Anna!" Susan called at me, as I was closing my locker door. She ran to me, waving her hand in the air; she had a huge smile on her face. 

Susan was wearing a white crop-top with high-waist ripped jeans. She had on long hooped earrings and a black mini-backpack. Her outfit looked perfect for the first day of our second semester. I, on the other hand, chose to be comfortable in a black hoodie and blue light-wash jeans. I also wore oversized glasses so that I would at least look ready for a load of studies that was about to come my way.

"Good morning," I replied, leaning towards my locker and sounding as happy as I could. Susan had taken care of me pretty much 24/7 after the accident. I have recovered well, so now she needs to stop worrying.

"My schedule looks tough already." Susan never liked to study, so here we go again with her whining about it for another six months. 

I felt a déjà vu moment when some girls nearby started staring in my direction - at someone behind me. Susan smiled too, which made me want to turn and see if it was Ethan; the first time I saw him in school, it was almost an identical situation.

"How are you, Annabeth?" Ethan smiled. 

He looked dashing as ever, in his all-denim outfit. He does carry himself really well. I wondered why he hasn't been offered to model or walk the ramp yet. He had even used hair gel to comb his hair back into a neat slick. Looks like he prepared his outfit this time. 

Girls were still staring and whispering to each other. Like, come on already! There are many other good-looking guys so why make such a big fuss when Ethan arrives? After looking around, I already got my answer. There was no guy who looked as cool as Ethan. He knew exactly how to excite girls... I wonder how?

"I am good. Walking," I answered, pointing to my legs as proof. He nodded in agreement towards me.

"Tell me your schedule, Ethan," Susan asked in excitement. I looked at her closely; her lip-gloss complemented her outfit very well. I should have also put some on.