No Sunshine

!!!!-Like the rest of this book, this is not canon to the stories the characters are part of! This is not canon to my fanfiction "Thief of Passion" and is a lone, separate scenario-!!!!

Black Mask Akechi - Regret

Ginny Amaya was alone and lost in a place unfamiliar to her. Naturally, like most children put in that situation, she was terrified. This place was known to those familiar with the cognitive world as Mementos, the collective unconscious of Japan's general public. And somehow, she got into this dark and dangerous place.

But it seemed she wasn't alone. In front of Ginny, facing away from her, stood a man dressed in a navy blue and gray striped outfit. Many black studded belts were fastened around his arms and legs, one around his waist too. On his hands was a pair of dark gray gloves, the fingers of the gloves appearing to be sharp and metallic. On his head was what was the most unsettling for Ginny. It appeared to be a dark gray helmet, but the front looked almost like a bird's beak that extended into horns, and it was colored black that faded into red at the tips of the 'horns'. Looking closer, she thought his outfit might look funny if not for the situation. Gripped in his left hand was a handgun, which he swiftly pointed at a man in front of him.

Ginny's eyes widened when she heard a gunshot and saw the man fall to the ground, disappearing into a black and red smoke. Luckily, the man in the black mask didn't see her. He spoke into what looked like a walkie-talkie, and she recognized his voice almost immediately.

"I've taken care of him. Are there any more that I need to take care of?" he asked into the device, adding "Yes Shido-san, I'll do that right away" after seeming to receive an answer.

Quietly, Ginny followed at a distance. She was hoping that he was threatened first, and that's why he killed the man back there. She was proved wrong when, yet again, he pulled the trigger on another person. A woman this time. Like the other victim, the woman had disappeared with little to no evidence. Ginny knew that if she let the black masked man continue on with this, he'd probably kill many more people. So she spoke.

"Goro... Why did you kill those people?"

He jumped at the sound of her voice. Ginny. Sweet, caring little Ginny. Even with this outfit she recognized him immediately, so she's not a moron. And if she escapes Mementos after seeing what he did...

When she got no answer, Ginny tried again "I-I know you bottle up lots of things. But if you keep them in, it'll tear you apart"

Akechi growled lowly, but gave her no other response.

"You act like people should be scared of you or adore you, no in between, but I know that's not true! I know there's more to you! I've seen it!"

"Don't give me that optimistic bullshit..." he grumbled, almost inaudibly, while taking slow steps toward the child.

"You don't need to hurt anyone, Goro! So can you please... P-put your gun away so we can talk...?" Ginny pleaded.

When Akechi stopped abruptly and looked down at his gun, she thought she saw a smile flash on his face. Not noticing the soft clicking sound, she gave a pleased smile of her own and ran forward, thinking that maybe she got through to him. That maybe he'd be willing to change his ways.

That positive thought was soon shattered to pieces as she felt a sharp pain pierce her chest. Tears rapidly streamed down her cheeks as agonizing pain overtook her body and she fell to her knees. Holding where the pain started, around her lung, she managed to keep her other hand on the floor and holding up the rest of her. Ginny looked up at Akechi and realized that he wasn't smiling. No, the the feelings she saw were regret, for what he was going to do to her. Even as he held the gun against her forehead, she saw tears welling up in his eyes, no matter how much he tried to hold them back.

Her voice was raspy as she croaked out "I-I'm sorry... I knew I couldn't change anything, but still tried... I-if I just... Let it go... We could've still been-"

With a slight hesitation, but not letting her finish her sentence, he pulled the trigger. Not long after he did, the young girl lost consciousness and fell limp on the cold, hard concrete. A quiet sigh escaped from his lips and the tears finally rolled down his cheek as his faltering neutral expression finally fell into a frown. It happened again. He killed someone who might've been the closest thing he had to a friend. He knelt down next to her barely breathing body, gently picking her up and holding her close as tears continued to pour from his eyes.

"...I'm so sorry... I didn't want to risk you getting hurt by him, but... I ended up taking you away... Farewell, Ginny... You were my only real... Friend..."

The last word was said through sobs. Goro Akechi realized the huge mistake he made, and despite the walkie talkie making noise in his pocket, he continued to hold the child close. He wanted to be with his friend for the rest of her life, but... Not like this.