[43]

Tim had taken his position on the Batcomputer soon as Jay left for patrol. But he hadn't operated the Oracle yet when the entrance to the Batcave swung open and Steph came in, using Barbara's spare wheelchair.

"Hey, it's my turn to be Oracle today!"

"I don't think it's a good idea," Tim spoke, thinking about Jay's reaction if Steph took over Oracle. He knew that she had full intentions of annoying him on patrol and as far as Tim's experience was with Jay, he also knew that it would result in horrible consequences.

"But I think it's a genius idea," she pushed him out of the way, taking control herself, "you had no objection earlier, so I see no use in you objecting now."

Shrugging nonchalantly, Tim stood up in order to leave but she grabbed his hand and made him sit down on the seat beside her, "come on, I know you don't want to miss out on the fun. And what if I screw something up? You have to provide supervision here, y'know. It's extremely important."

Tim rolled his eyes at her but settled down, "fine. But the second he starts to get annoyed, you'll hand the controls to me, okay?"

She nodded, "okie dokie, though it's more of you asking to get killed if I do that."

"Don't you know, I have no sense of self preservation."

"Touche."

Tim operated the Oracle software but let her use the microphone and put the sound on speaker, keeping an eye on all the cameras himself. Jason was patrolling Robinson square and had to proceed to the West End.

"Why so silent, shitty Oracle?" Jay's voice sounded through the speakers, "voice got stolen by the Riddler or something?"

Steph's eyes sparked in mischief as she imitated an automated voice, "welcome to Oracle, an automated software, especially designed to help you out on your vigilante missions."

There was complete silence from the other side as if it had taken Jay a while to process the information, "an automated software? Since when?"

"In order to be as efficient as possible and avoid inconveniences, Oracle was updated today at 13:45 pm."

Steph was really good at imitating a robotic voice that it seemed as if Jay hadn't suspected anything yet.

"Oh so Tim upgraded the software just because I was calling him a shitty Oracle? Should have done so earlier, must have been a relief sooner than tolerating him for almost half a week."

"Red Hood, all your patrol's proceedings are being recorded at the moment. The map from Robinson Square to West End will shortly be displayed on the screen with highlighted areas for crime check outs; an upgraded facility programmed in this software. In case of any further query regarding the facilities, press 1."

Tim looked at her amused as if trying to hold in his laughter and Steph seemed to be doing the same.

"Press 1?" Jay's agitated voice reached them, "what in the bloody..."

"Use of profanities is strictly prohibited while obtaining the services of Oracle. Though in order to terminate the patrol surveillance, press 0."

"Do I look as if I have a remote or some device on which I will press 1 or any other digit? What kind of a joke is this?"

Steph looked as if she would burst out laughing any moment but she managed to keep her voice steady, "in order to send complaints to the developer, press 2."

"Fuck you!" Jason swore and Tim knew that it was time for Steph to hand over the controls or else he would barge into the Batcave and choke them both to death.

"According to our terms and conditions, Oracle is shutting down. See you soon when you have learnt the use of civil language. Have a great patrol night."

"You insufferable automated piece of shit!"

Stephanie imitated the sound of a beep indicating as if the system had shut down.

"Let me reach home, I'll burn down the software as well as the person who installed it! Fuck, I never thought I would say this, but I would even prefer shitty Oracle over this complete sack of nonsense automation."

Tim quickly grabbed the microphone knowing that Jason was probably fuming in anger by now, "Jay, calm down, I have turned off the automated software."

"Where the fuck were you? And let me tell you that instead of upgrading the software, you literally downgraded it. Wait till I get my hands on you, Timothy, just wait and see."

He gulped knowing that the threat was very much real, so he made a feeble attempt at dissuading him, "hey, brothers don't kill one another..."

"Who said I was going to kill you? Though I might make you regret ever being Oracle and daring to mess with it, that's a given. And next time if Barbara goes out of city and you or anyone else for that instance takes over Oracle, I won't be going out on patrol until she comes back. The only exception being Alfred, you hear me?"

Steph had clamped her hands on her mouth, stifling her giggles. But seeing Tim so alarmed, she took the microphone, "wait a sec, Jay, it wasn't Tim who upgraded Oracle."

However hearing her at the controls made Jason realize that he had been played as it was Steph who was fooling him by imitating a fake robotic voice. "Ah I see, playing games now, are you?"

"Though you can't deny, it was quite fun."

"Quite fun, indeed. In that case, Miss Fake Oracle, I might have just the surprise for you tonight."

Jay terminated the connection, persistent in continuing the patrol without any assistance from Oracle.

As for Tim, he spoke up, "you know you have put yourself in great trouble, Stephanie."

She shrugged off his concern, flashing him a bright smile, "ah come off it. I know Jay won't do anything."

"And why do you think that?"

"Because he loves all of us."

He shook his head, a small smile flickering on his face, "I believe you heard what he had said after that confession too."

"Of course I did, but that was when he was lying in order to cover up the truth which he had let slip earlier. Don't worry, Timmy, our big brother Jay truly and deeply loves us so he won't even think of fatally harming either of us."

He sighed, "maybe but I'm not too certain about that."

"Just wait and see. Though I think he may try throwing me off the Manor's roof but I can handle that. Besides, I know you'll be waiting down to catch me in your arms so what could possibly go wrong?"

Tin shook his head quite amused at her suggestion, "you've put too much faith in me, Steph. What if I failed to catch you?"

"Trust me honey, you wouldn't dare," she replied as a playful smile danced on her face.

***