Twenty One

Yusuf was sitting on the chaise lounge of his wife's bedroom reading one of her penned secret. As he have promised himself earlier on that when ever he got the can to read that book, it will be from the beginning. And that is what he was doing. The first page reads 'she died'. On the second one was 'It was my fault,  on the third one was 'I want to die too."

On the forth page it was even more devastating. And It was then he received a the call from Yasmin, her voice so low and and barely audible. His heart has cringe at his wife being hurt by any of his relatives. Who wouldn't missed a chance to point a finger at him, what he don't know is that if they care that less about him as to say something disturbing to his wife. Rearranging where he was sitting, Yusuf rushed out of the house to go get her.

The condition in which he found his wife in, was upsetting, Anwar was sitting with her on the bench. Her face looking  drained of all colors, she looked so pale as if she were a some corpse. Few hours ago she was fine, perhaps moody, but fine. At the moment she was looking like she will explode anything time from then. He stood there glued to the ground his eyes penetrating her paled face.

What have they done to you?

Yasmin didn't know he was there until she feel his scent in her nostril, it was then she look up at her husband. Boring her eyes into his, trying to read him for first time. Their eyes locked for what felt like a decade until Anwar drew back their attention. She had felt and seen the intensity between the couple that instance. Why they were all so afraid of letting go of the other's sight, as if that will be it. Whatever was wrong with her sister in law should be nothing her family have caused. Anwar was already tired of how much they have caused so much trouble for her brother, and she believe his wife shouldn't be involved in their drama.

"Hold this for her and get going." Anwar said handing him his wife's handbag the concern was there in her eyes. "I will call you later, okay." She patted his left shoulder.

"Thank you sis." It had been long since she'd seen him this worked up.

"Take care sister in law." She added and Yasmin nodded.

Yasmin followed Yusuf to the car refusing to let him assist her even though she's doing if she'll fall any second. Her eyelids close immediately after she sat in the car somehow she felt at ease.

The drive home was quiet, it wasn't an awkward one though. It was confusing with so many questions hanging in the air. If Yusuf didn't know any better he will assume his wife was sleeping, her eyes were close. None said a word as they all entered the house. But Yusuf knew he had to inquire, she was even smiling when she went into that house and now she was looking as if she was ran over by a truck.

"Do you need anything, Yasmin?" She stare at him searching for answer and he can see just how much disappointment he have seen in her eyes. Taking her eyes away from him she nodded no at his question and went to the kitchen herself. She have been holding her see but not anymore, as if the water she just drank was what produce the tears and there comes the racing tears. She pull one of the island stool and sat on face palming herself with her elbows on the hard marble surface of the island. She was clearly disturbed.

"What happened?" His voice come again very close to her. The anguish and disappointment she look at him with was so much that he couldn't take it. At least not her, she shouldn't judge him blindly like everyone had. Yusuf was certain someone had told her something. He knew with his father's relatives and Luba in one place, it was always a perfect storm, that his wife shouldn't have any business with. Back then he doesn't have to matter, it was only him to deal with them.

"Nothing," she quickly wiped her tears but the evidence was still there, she'd suppressed the sob that was threatening to come out almost choking from within. Yusuf stood there with his hands in his faded black jeans pockets. With his family it was always so capricious to say, so was his wife.