11| Gotta Cradle That

NOVA smiled as she and Connie raced towards the helmet section of the hockey store. Charlie hadn't been lying when he said Bombay changed for the better. At first, nobody on the team believed him much but then Bombay talked to them all and treated them to buy a bunch of hockey gear and equipment.

"you think this helmet fits well?" Connie said as she turned to face her best friend. Nova saw her wearing a blue helmet with a transparent mask.

"yeah, it looks good," Nova said, "Come on! I'm thinking of getting some more Pre-wrap!"

Nova began to walk off as Connie giggled, "you mean Hockey tape?"

Nova glanced back at her as she reached the section, "yeah whatever... That tape that goes around the stick"

Connie laughed even more now. "You're such a soccer player, Nova"

November smiled and shrugged as she concentrated on the various prices and colours of the tape. she was hoping on getting the cheapest one but all were coloured pink and she wouldn't use that if it were the end of the world.

at a point, Nova and Connie snapped their attention towards Charlie in the hockey stick isle. He managed to spaz his way to making every single stick fall off the rack. He did, however, smile and cross his arms, acting like nothing happened.

Charlie slowly but quickly walked out of the isle and approached Nova and Connie. The two girls had looked at him with a knowing look and attempted to contain their laughs. Charlie shook his head and playfully punched them both in the arm.

"I don't wanna talk about it, Alright.."

Nova and Connie snorted and the three walked off towards Guy. They would talk to Averman too but when they found him, they saw him, Jesse, Karp, and Terry, laying on the floor like a bunch of idiots.

Guy had been looking at some hockey pads when the two approached him. Charlie has managed to wander off towards a sculpture of ice that held some hockey sticks in them. Connie and Nova watched as he failed at getting one of the sticks out. Luckily for him, a big guy named Fulton Reed helped him get it.

"He did that so effortlessly" Nova said in a little shock.

Connie looked at her and nodded, "yeah.. I had to play him in dodgeball once during gym class... Scariest moment of my life.."

"Who is that guy?" The two heard Bombay ask Guy. Nova jumped a little upon seeing her coach behind her.

"that's Fulton Reed," Guy said, "He's in one of my classes"

"How come he's not on the team?" Bombay asked. Nova silently watched their conversation as Jesse and Goldberg found their way to join. She didn't know who they were talking about as she didn't go to the same school at them.

"he only plays football," Jesse says, "some preppy school gave him a scholarship as long as he doesn't play hockey. They don't want him getting hurt"

"i heard they were colleges!" Guy added, "Started getting accepted into four of them"

Goldberg laughed, "yeah, well i heard that he's gotta repeat the sixth grade"

"aw, shut up..."

The boys walked off leaving Nova in slight confusion. Connie looked at her and shrugged.

"who knew guys could gossip as much as we could"

The entire team was ecstatic when they reached the rink. Bombay had managed to earn the team two figure skaters named Tommy and Tammy. Nova wasn't super fond of this. it was nothing personal to them, it was just the fact that she slightly detested figure skaters. the ones that she knew were really bitter, sassy, and full of themselves.

Nova lined up behind Guy, making her second in line. Bombay had told them to skate through a couple cones that were laid out. Most of the team was good. However, Nova couldn't hep but notice how nicely Guy was skating. Connie was quite impressed.

Charlie did fall, surprising absolutely nobody. Bombay told him it was fine and to shake it off. That sure boosted his confidence because soon enough, He was skating as well as Guy and Nova were.

Soon, Coach had dozens of eggs on a stand beside him. Nova looked at him puzzlingly as she took a knee beside Connie.

"soft hands..." He said as she threw an egg up in the air. Nova felt Connie and Guy stiffen as they were scared that the egg would just fall to the floor.

"you don't shoot the puck up your teammate... You sail it to em" Coach said, "Karp! on your feet!"

Nova watched as Bombay sailed the egg towards Karp before it smashing into a gooey yolk.

"Gotta cradle that..." Nova whispered quietly to herself. It was as if she had read Coach's mind as he had explained to just that.

He made all of them stand in a semi circle. Averman had an egg and attempted to pass it to coach but smashed it instead. Nova stood beside him and wiped off the yolk that splattered to her face.

"again," Coach said calmly, "Concentration. not strength"

"like the karate kid, right?" Averman said, "wax on! wax off! oh a-"

"just shut up and try it Averman!" Connie silenced him. Nova stifled a laugh as she looked at his slightly scared expression.

"such a jerk" Averman mumbled before Coach told him to send it back.

Averman successfully sent it to him and Nova clapped lightly beside him. She nudged him with her elbow and he looked over.

"have you ever even seen the karate kid?" Nova asked with a grin

Averman pushed up his glasses and smiled sheepishly, "no.. but it feels like I have from the amount of times i hear you and Connie talk about Daniel Garusso"

Nova glared at him playfully, "first of all... it's Daniel Larusso... plus... you can't blame us. Have you seen Ralph Macchio?"

Averman shorted and was about to reply before the two heard a crack and a series of laughter. Nova snapped her attention towards coach and she let out a soft laugh. He was covered in egg yolk and Charlie had a guilty expression on his face.

"way to go spazway!" She heard someone remark. A smile formed on her face as she looked around her team. She really felt a peace now.

she saw her teammates and coach laughing and having fun. it was great.

Charlie- despite being teased by the team kept the smile on his face that made everyone all giddy inside.

Connie and Guy, her two best friends in the entire world, were looking at each other and she laughed to herself as she saw both of them being so clueless.

Averman was shaking his head in laughter as he made his classic jokes and crack ups that everyone secretly loved.

it was the little things that made Nova truly love hockey and sports. sure, the competition was great but the thing that really made her love it over top of everything was the relationships she would form with other people. that's why she loved soccer so much. she loved the competition and the sport but it was her friends and connections that she made that made everything feel right. without that connection... it just wouldn't be the same. but truly, nothing is the same if there's no connection...

brynn speaks !

hola! hola! I just finished this amazing Adam Banks fanfic... and honestly i wanna give them props for doing such a great job on it. You should go check it out.. it's called 'Distractions'

alright, Adios Amigos!