Chapter 1

Mia jolts awake, a cry in despair tearing itself from her throat. She sits upright in bed, breathing heavily, cold sweat dampening the back fabric of her tank top. Almost immediately, the aches and pains return to her, hitting her like a freight train. It isn't mind-numbing agony like it had been before, but it still hurts. Of course, the physical pain doesn't hurt - will never hurt - as much as the mental pain does.

She knows those nightmares of her possessed by some sort of demon, using her to mutilate her friends isn't a fantasy - it happened. Mia knows they're all dead, burned to the ground, the cabin along with them. That goddam cabin. She hopes those demons rot in hell, never to show their ugly faces on this earth again. She hopes that book, and all of those demonic writings on the wearing, yellowed papers remain as ashes.

All dead...all dead...

They're all dead. All dead because of that damn book. It used her to kill them, why couldn't she stop it? Why couldn't she fight it? How and why is she still living? She should be dead and be with them. She should be in Heaven. If there even is a Heaven, or God.

One thing's for sure: there is a Hell.

She tries using her right hand to adjust her position on the bed, only to be met with a sharp pain at the wrist. Gasping, her left hand flies to her pained arm, gripping it tightly. Gazing down at her arm, she screams upon realizing that her hand is gone, a bloody bandage wrapped around the area where her limb should be. A vague memory then flashes in her mind of her arm stuck under a vehicle, accompanied with the memory of just how agonizing it was to pull out her arm, leaving her hand behind. Tendons stretching and breaking, crushed bones pulling apart. The memory sends shivers down her spine, but that's not the worst thing she remembers.

That fucking book...oh David...

Drawing her legs to her stomach and hugging them, she buries her head in her knees and silently sobs.

Just then, a knock comes at the door. Mia doesn't even take the time to notice where she is: in a bedroom, under the sheets of a mattress that isn't hers. She doesn't even hear the knock, nor does she react to it. A few seconds pass by, as well as silence, before the door handle turns. Mia suddenly ceases her crying, lifting her weary and turning it towards the door. It opens a crack, and although it's only ajar she can see somebody's head through it. Glad that the door didn't open on its own, Mia releases the tension in her body, dropping her legs and stretching the sore muscles out. She waits for the stranger to enter the room, not caring who he or she is. As long as he or she is a human - and not possessed.

Finally, the person pushes it fully open, allowing the knob to bang against the door. Stepping inside, Mia discovers, is the man that had picked her up from the side of the road. She gulps upon spotting the specks of crimson on his teal-colored shirt, no doubt from her.

It's silent for what seems like an eternity, and since Mia is struggling for the words, it's the stranger who speaks first.

"So," he says in a deep voice, "looks like you're awake now."

Mia stares at the strange man, surprised by how calm he seems. Like he...understands her situation. Furrowing her eyebrows, the brunette avoids his gaze, cracking her neck. "Yeah. I am."

He cracks he neck, walks over to the lone chair in the corner of the room and sits down. "So what where you saying about a cabin?"

Cabin? Had Mia told him something through her haze of extreme pain? She was delerious, out of it, she couldn't even think straight then. Then again, she was losing a lot of blood, probably had already. The memories of the cabin were still starting to return to her, and she's just able to restrain herself from breaking down at any moment.