Chapter 10

Mira opened her eyes, finding herself surrounded by trees. She scrunched up her eyebrows in confusion as she studied her surroundings.

Odd. I thought I was at the capitol.

The birds were singing, the sun was peeking through the trees, and the sound of waves added to its serenity, it was a beautiful day in District 4.

The scene seemed familiar, as if she recalled it happening several times. She looked up, squinting her eyes as the light from the sun hit her face.

It was all too good to be true.

She stood barefoot, wearing a white flowy dress just above her knees. The cool air lightly blew her long dark hair, covering one of her eyes. Just as she was about to tuck it back behind her ear, she heard an awfully familiar voice singing from a distance.

Now, she was hit with a sense of déjà vu as she started walking towards the source of the beautiful voice as if her legs were compelled to move on their own. She noticed how it led towards the Cove, and before she knew it, she felt the coarse sand under her toes as she walked closer to the shore, the voice getting louder as she walked closer.

That's when she saw her.

It was the mermaid.

She had her back towards her, her long golden hair and azure tail shimmered under the sun's rays. She appeared to be combing her hair with her fingers as she sang a song that was all too familiar to the young girl.

The mermaid was oblivious to the girl who was openly staring at her. Mira wanted to move, call her, and make her turn around. She didn't understand why she did.

But she couldn't.

All Mira could do was stare at her, singing that same old song she used to sing every time.

It was only a matter of time before she would wake up. This has happened before, and she would always remember that she would wake up just before she saw the mermaid's face. So she just stood there, admiring the beautiful view in front of her, listening to the melodic tune the woman on the rock was singing.

"May it be the shadows call

Will fly away

May it be your journey on

To light the day

When the night is overcome

You may rise to find the sun."

Mira sang with the mermaid for the first time since she had this dream. She could not understand why she was crying though; she just stood there, her feet submerged on the floor, singing while tears streamed down her face. And as if finally sensing her presence, the mermaid stopped singing and slowly turned her head.

She was finally going to see her face.

The moment she did, it was as if the world had stopped when their eyes met.

She was staring at the face of her mother.

And she woke up, finding herself in the room assigned to her in the capitol. She was still lying on the bed, facing upwards. She couldn't believe her dream, she couldn't believe that she saw her mother in the one dream she got every time when she was younger.

Mira sat up, making the sheets fall off into her lap. She turned her head to look at the figurine on her nightstand and stared at it.

It was her, she was sure of that.

The last time she got that dream was when she was fourteen years old, two years ago. She had grown accustomed to the dream, getting familiar with the song and the stature of the mermaid. That is why she always believed in the mythical beings when she was younger. She always thought her mother was a mermaid, and that she was, in her dream anyway. The same hair, the same skin color, the same build, but she wasn't able to see the mermaid's face until now.

Mira placed a palm on her forehead and slumped on the bed, sighing.

Before she had more time to think about the dream, there was a short knock on the door before it opened, revealing Lassie's colorful new look.

"Rise and shine Mira dear- oh good you're already awake!" The woman chirped clapping her hands together as she fully stepped inside the room. "Better get yourself ready now, Eldoris is already outside waiting to have a turn with you-" She sauntered towards the bed and helped the young girl up to her feet. "-teach you some things." She added the last part, her face filled with doubt but was quick to be replaced with a wide grin.

"What time is it?" Mira asked before Lassie escaped from the room.

Hearing the young girl's question, she halted and turned her head around to answer her in a high-pitched voice. "I believe it's a few minutes after sunrise dear. Now hurry and wash up jolly ole' Eldoris can't wait to teach you the basics of strangling someone. " Lassie says in a cheery tone, making Mira flinch. 

Mira sighed and decided to ignore how easy it was for Lassie to be this cheery about the idea of children killing other children. Instead, she brought herself to think about her dream which made her wake up later than usual, but she hoped this wouldn't happen again during her time in the games.

It would be great if she could make it past the first hour.

After bathing and dressing in comfortable clothes, she quietly exited and entered the main room where she saw Eldoris waiting for her.

"So glad for you to join me- a drink?" He asks, offering a glass to the young girl which she silently declines to with a small smile. "A pretty one, just like yer mother. Though that chit was feisty and a handful, you on the other hand-" he stands up to pour himself another glass, "you seem compliant enough." He says, nodding to himself and sipping his drink. 

"Now, what do you understand of these games?" He says, plopping himself back on the sofa. "I- It is to remind the districts of the Capitol's power and the failed rebellion-" "against them, yada yada. That is how a career District teaches its children that these games should be treated as an honor, instead of a punishment. That was how yer mother thought, too. A brave girl indeed- a volunteer. But that is how one thinks before being put on the actual scene." Eldoris places his glass on the table, leaning down to grab the end of his trousers and pulling it up to reveal a metal contraption in place of his leg. Mira gasps, her eyes becoming teary all of a sudden, "I'm sorry-" "-I didn't show you this to get your pity girl. I showed you the real meaning of the games. Some might see you as less than a threat, but you have what they don't, and I will teach you how to use it, just like how I taught yer mother and Finnick Odair. The moment yer name got reaped, you were no longer yer own person. The Capitol owns you, remember that. Do their bidding and everything will be smooth sailing for you. Do exactly as I say, because I will teach you how to survive the Hunger Games."