XX.

CHAPTER TWENTY[ the end! ]

CHAPTER TWENTY
[ the end! ]

Asteria and Ben took Asteria's X-Wing back to Ajan Kloss. The Resistance Base was nothing but celebratory. Every fighter embracing their friends, family, and lovers. It reminded her of Endor, years before.

It got ugly when they saw Ben. Asteria went to where Poe, Finn, Valda, Nascha and Salōmē stood together. Poe looked as if he wanted to start, wanted to put a hole in Ben's chest. Wanted to take out his blaster right there. But he didn't. He didn't, because of what Asteria had told him. Because Asteria had trusted him with something she knew others wouldn't approve of.

He didn't so these things, but Valda did.

"First Order scum," she spat, pointing her blaster at him. Asteria stepped in between them to stop her.

"Valda, stand down. That is an order." Valda was forced to do as she was told. Reluctantly, she dropped her blaster to her side.

"Highness—" she began to argue, but Asteria cut her off.

"No," she said, holding up a hand to silence her. "You will leave him be. Kylo Ren is dead. This is Ben Solo. This is Leia's son."

"Respectfully, Highness, he's killed so many, ruined so many lives," Nascha spoke. "That cannot be forgiven."

"People change, Nascha," she argued, and felt Ben's hand slip into hers for comfort. "And I've forgiven him. I trust him."

Salōmē, her ever loyal guard, stepped up beside the others and looked Ben over. She sighed audibly, and nodded. "If you say that we can trust him, Highness, then I will."

Asteria gave her a grateful smile. It was Poe who then stepped in front of them and held his hand out toward Ben. "I absolutely think you're the worst," Poe told him, "but for Asteria, I'll try."

Ben shook Poe's hand. He didn't bother apologizing for what he'd done to Poe personally, because what could he say? Instead he managed a grateful look, and gave one to Salōmē, too.

Rey appeared at their side then, having followed them from Exegol in her own X-Wing. She gave Ben a nod, that he returned. "I want to give you something," she told Asteria. "I s'pose it's mine, it's fallen into my possession, but it should belong to you."

She was confused, but she let Rey lead her and Ben away from the others. She lead them to where all of the ships were sitting. To where the Falcon was sitting.

Rey gestured to the ship before them, a small smile on her lips. "It should belong to you. Both of you."

"Rey—"