Chapter 2

“Hold still!” Symphony shouted as she tried to dry off a very wet Dixie.

“I am! You’re just too rough with that towel,” Dixie complained as she finally got out of the hybrid’s grip.

“Well, at least your dry now. But do you want a new bow? I can get you one,” Symphony reassured, which Dixie shook her head no.

“I’m great without the bow for a while. It was getting on my nerves anyways,” Dixie replied as she looked at Symphony and shot her a wink, who blushed heavily and turned away.

“Okay, if you say so,” Symphony said as she sat next to Dixie in front of the lit fireplace.

“So... ‘Symphony’, right?” Dixie asked as she looked over at the teen, who nodded and smiled,

“Pretty name,” Dixie said as she wrapped her injured paw around the girl, who blushed.

“Thank you. Yours isn’t half bad either,” It was now Dixie’s turn to blush as she pulled the chipmunk siren closer to her.

“Thank you again so much for helping me. Even though I refused it at first,” Dixie chuckled.

“It’s what kind people do,” Symphony replied, loving the warmth that radiated off the canine, “I wanna ask… What happened for you to end up like this…?” Symphony asked

Dixie then frowned and looked at Symphony with a slightly concerned expression, “Are you sure you wanna hear about that, darling? Cause it’s kinda sad and it kinda gets me mad,” 

“I’m sure,” Symphony reassured and Dixie let out a sigh.

“Well, back at the carnival, I was a part of a band called the “Singin Strays” where dogs who didn’t have an owner could join. I was the lead singer and life was good. And I used to have a crush,”

Symphony’s eyes widened a bit at that and a slight scowl crossed her face, “Oh…” She mumbled softly, “Who was it?”

Dixie growled, “Cash. He was the leader who formed the band. And of course, he felt the same way and we got together after a little incident happened. But then, Cash finally got adopted… A little girl walked by with her parents while we were singing and wanted Cash to come home with them...” Dixie continued.

“Which meant… he wasn’t apart of the band anymore…?” Symphony guessed. 

“Nope… He basically abandoned the band to be with humans again… I thought the band meant everything to him! And I was his girlfriend! So he broke up with me! And after that, the rest of the band went back to going out on the streets again since without Cash, there was no band. Everyone left the carnival, except me. I loved the band and I wanted to stay. In case new strays happened to run up on the carnival and would want to join. But of course, no one came. Cash did come a few times with his new family, but I couldn’t look at him anymore. So that’s how I got my life basically ruined by someone I loved the most,” 

“Oh, Dixie, I’m so sorry. But at least he’s happy now,” Symphony reassured,

Dixie just scoffed and scowled, “Yeah, happier with them than with me,” 

“Look, Cash is an idiot for doing that to you. If I was him, I would stay~” Symphony purred, Dixie blushing from the comment. 

“Really?” Dixie asked. Symphony nodded, “What if it was your family? Would you go then?” Dixie asked again.

“Of course not. Even if it was, I would visit them often. But I would always want to stay with you since I would never abandon anyone~”

Amber eyes looked deeply into golden brown ones and a spark flew between the two. Symphony’s soft smile was sending the same shivers up Dixie’s spine and Dixie was just too adorable for Symphony to resist. Dixie pulled Symphony in closer as the two leaned in. And closer. And even closer and we’re just about to close the gap between the two of them until they heard a sound that scared them back into reality.