Chapter One- Welcome to the World

February 4, 2004, Sidney, Australia

     It was 4:30 am when Sakura woke with a start. She instantly knew that today was the day.

     "Ryan, wake up."

     The vaporeon next to her stirred.

     "Five more minutes."

     "No," She kicked his leg, "babies don't wait."

     "Wait, really?" He bolted upright, now wide awake, "I'll call ahead to the hospital. Anything I can get you?"

     The leafeon got out of bed, "No, I'll be alright. I can eat there. Go warm up the ute."

     Ryan nodded to his wife as he connected with the ASIS secretary. "Hi... hehe, yes, we're coming in fifteen."

     Five minutes later he helped his wife into the passenger seat of their 2001 Ford Falcon, then peeled out and drove at a high rate of speed towards the ASIS medical laboratory.

***

     Ryan pulled into the parking lot, nearly colliding with an SUV pulling out, the driver of which yelled at him.

     "Watch it fuckwit!"

     "Bugger off!" He yelled back. Then he spoke in a calmer tone, "Are you alright, Saks?"

     "I'm fine. Just get me to a room, I'm about to burst." She winced as her stomach muscles contracted, trying to force her egg into the world.

     A nurse came out with a wheelchair to which Sakura was transferred. She was taken to a room and hooked up to a few medical instruments that showed her heart rate on a screen, as well as a few other things. A luxray in scrubs and a white lab coat came in and addressed the parents to be.

     "Good morning. As you probably know, because of your child's, erm, peculiar origin, there is a high probability of complications. The egg's shell is incredibly thin and may break during birth. If that happens the child will have a 20% chance of survival and require intensive care for the first part of its life. Best of luck."

     The two nodded in understanding. They knew this had been a possibility since before conception. Although it was indeed their biological child, ASIS had done some fiddling with it. Ryan shook the doctor's paw.

     "Thank you, Dr. Dennaoui."

      A couple of hours later, Sakura's labor became more intense. Six different doctors and nurses occupied the room along with the couple. They needed to be ready for anything. One doctor attempted to send Ryan out but decided against it when he threatened to make them perform physical impossibilities.

     He stood by his wife and held her hand. The doctors ordered the leafeon to push, but not too hard.

     "Wha... What's that supposed to mean?" Sakura said.

     "Erm... we have no clue. An egg this compromised usually requires a cesarean section but that's not an option with this one. Just push I guess."

     Thirty minutes later, a doctor looked up and said, "It's nearly there, keep it up."

     She pushed as hard as she could and then some. There was a crunching sound as the large mass exited her body. There was dead silence, only broken by the heart monitor.

     "Shit."

     "Get it to the premature ward, stat!"

     "It's a girl!"