012

The paths that were illuminated just hours before became lost in a blackness that even moonlight cannot help.

The trees that are magnificent in sunshine tower over Esmee as she steps across the borderline between the seen and unseen.

Choosing to go back is no choice at all . She steels herself to keep moving, her hair on end as if the forest was on the enemy side.

The air is several degrees cooler and soon she begins to shiver. On her frequent stops, Esmee listens for signs of life around her, but there come none. When she's alone such a silence would be tranquil, but out here it is more like the quiet of the graveyard.

The forest must be her path there.
So whatever comes she much keep going. When she gets knocked down she have to get up, 'cause there's no other way'.

Esmee knew what's out there though, she knows 'cause the figure told her'.

It said "find the cabin surrounded by orchids" and so she did, she still do.

The figure described briefly , at the other end is peace, real happiness for her, and she gotta keep going even if the path.

Then Esmee started to truly think hard , she found it difficult to remember why she started this journey ? For love? For a bond? For acceptance? Did she even need those things for an happy life ? Why does she need someone to make her happy ? Why does she have to be fix?

'Her gift?', Esmee thought scoffing to herself .

She felt deep down she didn't want a chance for an heart break . An if the figure cared about that , she wouldn't promise her another mate .
She wanted to depend on no one , she wanted to serve no one but herself . Suddenly she felt foolish for deciding so quickly .
This entire quest to be sent back , felt like a trick . A trick into more suffering.

Esmee laughed at herself in the darkness that surrounded her . With chuckle , the harder and harder she laughed .
Their was no picture no action nothing funny around her , it was herself she was laughing at .
A new found emotion bubbled within her chest . She noticed her hands white knuckles from clenching her fist too hard, and gritted teeth from effort to stop laughing .

Something was stirring within the pit of her stomach like acid - burning, slicing, potent. Her face unnoticeably became red in attempt to suppressed this new found rage.
Suddenly she heard the old voices in her head . The echoes use to make her weep in despair switched to something else within her.

"Especially since you're a servant this is a sick joke."

"We can walk you back home ..servant."

"Geez can she do anything right ?"

"The runt , no wolf "

Every word stung only fueling the fire that burned inside of Esmee . Every violated phrase was like gasoline to it, her fists began to clench harder and her jaw rooted. When the final mento had been added to the coke inside her .

"I cannot have a unattractive mate ."

She exploded with anger, with no control objects levitated and broke. The sound of snapping trees and the leaves shifting echoed throughout.

Esmee's eyesight blurred, but not because tears were welling up.
Everything became fuzzy; then she saw nothing at all.
Her consciousness was floating through an empty space filled with a thick static. Throughout the inky space her heartbeats pounded loudly, echoing in her ears, alongside fading pleas for help.
Feeling in her body drained away until finally all was black.

—-

What did you think of this chapter ? Personally it's my favorite so far .
Comment your thoughts and feedback!
Also vote please haha! There's a lot of ghost readers👀