Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"Heroist" by Apparat

Our secondary den was located on the far South side of the city, deep within a sewer with an outlet into a large ditch, which was largely ignored by the sparse human population. It was less than ideal, if I was being honest. While we had grown accustomed to utilitarianism when finding temporary dwellings, we were not immune to the horrid stink that accompanied these places.

As we found our way to the cul de sac inside the sewer system, Collin spoke for all of us when he said, "This place smells like shit."

No one wanted to come here; however, if the leech's "sons" decided to come looking for him, we needed an advantage. Vampires with emotional connections to others were problematic and relentless. If we failed to kill them the first time, they would keep attacking until they succeed or die. I had met few in my time with the Walkers, maybe two or three, but I remember the fight nonetheless. When left unchecked, desperation has a powerful effect on these creatures.

We finally reached the underground area we had claimed as our own—and it was just as bad as the first time. The smell of human filth permeated the air, and the hot air from outside created a disgustingly thick ozone that made us feel both dry and damp. While the smell started to dissipate after a few minutes, it was still unpleasant. Moreover, there had been significant flooding since we had been here, which resulted in several piles of dirt, leaves, twigs, and human excrement lying everywhere. We took a few moments to brush it away before attempting to relax.

The vampire was placed in a dead-end area, which had only one way in and out. There were no pipes or vents above, just six feet or more of concrete. Yes, a leech could get through it if they were so inclined, but it would take a while. I followed behind Rix as he pulled the leech in and dumped him on the ground, leaving him an elaborate description of what would happen should he try to escape. Surprisingly enough, the leech merely acknowledged his threat and leaned against an opposing wall, closing his eyes as if he was going to sleep.

I watched him for a few seconds before I followed my brother back to the others. That gnawing déjà vu still pervaded my mind, making it difficult to remain impartial to the creature, but it was difficult. How could I know a leech? It didn't make sense. As we met the others, I hid my confusion behind a mask of stoicism while simultaneously removing the physical mask I was wearing. It was something I needed to speak with Shiloh and Dex about, but since they were not present, I felt it best to keep it bottled up.

"I still don't understand you obsession with that thing," Una said, pointing at the mask dangling from my right hand. "As long as you kill what you're hunting, it is useless."

I shrugged, saying, "Shiloh recommended I wear it, so that's what I do."

"As I recall," Una said, smirking. "She said it should be worn when hunting solo, not as a group or pair."

"I don't know," I said, tucking the back into the back of my pants. "I guess it just makes me feel secure."

"Fair enough," Una said, bumping my shoulder with hers. "Just as long as you're not afraid."

I smiled at her, understanding what she meant. "No. Not afraid. Not anymore."

During my first few years with the Walkers, I hesitated a lot. Not only did it result in several failed hunting attempts, but it also stressed the others out because they coddled me. I hated it and had approached Shiloh and Dex about the best way to stop. Their resolution was to send me out alone into an area in Amsterdam ripe with leech activity. There was something about being alone, being isolated that pushed me to focus on self-reliance. Well, isolation and being attacked by six leeches at once.