Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Immigrant Song – (Covered by) Karen O, Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

Even for humans, there are moments where time stalls, short-circuits in a way. The engine of the universe hiccups, causing rifts in the continuum. Time passes by slowly, each second feeling like a lifetime. This was one of those moments. My brother's lifeless corpse lay at my feet, and in my grief, I screamed as loud as I could into the night sky. I was vaguely aware of the leeches arguing around me. I recognized Carlisle's voice as it angrily shouted at the others, but I couldn't be bothered to listen. All I could do was look at my beloved brother, dead, and everything else melted away.

"We didn't do this," Jasper said, and I turned to find him standing beside Carlisle. "I swear to you. He had already been attacked by the time we found him. We just brought him as leverage."

I was up on my feet before I could truly comprehend my emotions. The pain coursing through me controlled my actions; I was just a passenger. As Carlisle attempted to diffuse the situation, I lost control and lashed out, kicking Jasper in his sternum and sending him flying back. I tried to do the same to Carlisle, but he dodged my attack, sweeping my leg and flattening me on my back.

"Wait, Bella," Carlisle said, but he was cut off as my brothers and sister rushed forward and threw him off me. He managed to twist in the air and land on his feet. When he landed, he quickly added, "They did not do this. If they did, their eyes would be red. Look at them, their eyes are—"

Edward stepped forward, cutting Carlisle off and getting annoyingly close to me. "Wait. It was you? Why would you—"

"Any closer, and I'll strangle you with your own intestines," I said between my teeth.

"Edward, stop it." Carlisle grabbed his arm and jerked him back, shoving him into the willing arms of the other leeches. As Edward protested, Carlisle turned back, saying, "You'll only make things worse. Do as I say!"

Two of the female leeches held Edward back as Carlisle returned his attention to me. As he took a step closer, I heard an audible growl form behind, and I turned to find Rix flanking me. He moved like liquid across a flat surface, sliding gracefully and powerfully, placing himself between Carlisle and me, his shoulders rising and falling as his breathing accelerated.

"You will speak to me," Rix said, his even tone barely masking his fury.

Carlisle nodded, and in a surprising turn, he bent forward and perfectly mimicked the bow the Walkers used to greet a superior. Glancing over at Rix, I noted that he was significantly less impressed by the action. In fact, he seemed to grow angrier.

"Do not insult me," Rix said as Carlisle returned to his upright position. "You know nothing of our ways. So your gestures, your humility, it means nothing."

"I understand," Carlisle said. "Before we continue, please let me treat your brother. We are different species, but we have the same anatomy. I can help him."

I expected Rix to dismiss his assistance and call for an attack; however, as seconds slipped by, my older brother merely nodded and permitted Carlisle to see Tobin. Collin, Una, and I stood back as Carlisle flipped Tobin on his side and inspected his wound.

"He's alive, but barely," Carlisle said, leaning back and looking at Rix. "Whoever attacked him, they almost bled him dry. Is that common practice here?"

"Not that we have seen," Collin said.

Carlisle sat back after one last look, saying, "The good news is that he wasn't bitten. His wound is jagged and torn, like it was ripped open by hand. It means he won't turn into a vampire."