T H R E E

"No!"

I didn't mean to sound so harsh but I meant it when I said no. My head felt fuzzy at his words, being near him was like sticking my brain in a fryer. He looked a little taken back at my words, but never the less, he persisted.

"Please, hear me out before you decide on anything," He was soft with his words, but I could see a determination in his eyes to get me to agree to this crazy idea. "This could be an amazing thing."

I didn't see how it could be anything good.

Sure, he scrambled my thoughts and made my heart go haywire, and yes, I was attracted to him in a way that was beyond natural. It was a fun thought too— being a Queen, but the truth was I didn't know Caliban. I liked him but I know, without the bond of being soulmates, I would've never felt a pull towards him given my prior knowledge of him.

He took Sabrina's crown for himself. Sabrina had said he played dirty to win the challenges that resulted in him being King of Hell. That had to mean something, he could be power-hungry or cruel for all I knew. He never showed any ill will, only a bit of snark with Sabrina, I admit, but I hadn't seen him more than that one time. Everything I had on him was based on Sabrina's words.

I was okay with testing the waters on this thing we had. Because this could be something I don't want to give up, but I have to know first. I can't tie myself to him the way he and Sabrina want me to, not without knowing who he is outside of just being my soulmate. I need to know this feeling in my heart will last.

"No," I say shaking my head as my thoughts overwhelm me, this is a bit too much for plain ol' me, "Stop. I said I won't be your queen and I don't need you to try and convince me otherwise, I can't, okay? Not yet, I'm not sure.." I trail off and close my eyes.

My heart is thumping loud and I count ever beat in an attempt to calm it. Surely, these symptoms will fade one day, right?

He releases my waist and backs away, nodding to himself, "Okay, okay. I'll stop for now but only because I think you need confirmation, right? You are unsure this is gonna work?" He asks, and I nodded slowly without opening my eyes. Keep counting.

Fifty six. Fifty seven. Fifty ei— I gasp and my eyes open wide. Caliban stands in front of me, hands gripping my shoulder tightly, almost too tight. His eyes are blacked over and cold and he is looking right at me. It's as if he is staring into my soul.

"I am not good. I've done terrible, horrible things. Tortured people, killed them. You are going to hear things about me and they might be so vile, you won't even believe they could be true. I'm telling you now, whatever they say, I did it." He admits coldly. I try to break away but he tightens his grip, getting closer. I feel panicky looking at him and dart my eyes away before he forces me to look at him.

"Let go." I say adamantly.

His blackened eyes glaze over before fading back to human-like ones. He releases me but doesn't step back.

He says my name so softly, "I'm telling you this because despite what horrors may come with my name, I will do everything and anything, for you. Just you. I want you to know that. It doesn't matter to me how long we've known each other, but I know it matters to humans. I know you humans need to get to know each other, go on dates, those trivial things, right?"

I quirk my eyebrow at his use of 'trivial,' it's not trivial to want to know someone before you spend your time on them. "I wouldn't exactly say it's trivial, but you've got the right idea. I would like to know I'm not about to become a pawn in a tyrant's game, or some sort of sex slave, or you know— something bad!" I cry out, cheeks flush at my stupid word vomit.

Did I really just mention sex in front of him? Oh my god...

He laughs loudly and shakes his head at me. "My future queen, I plan on only showering you with your every wish and ruling Hell as I should. You can't be mad at me, your friend knows not how to rule or what is best for Hell. I do." He says and smirks, "And sex slave? Only if that's what you want." He winks.

I choke on my spit and sputter, "W-what on earth! Caliban!"

He smiles and I roll my eyes, but a smile ghosts my lips as well. "You are amazing and this doesn't have to be complicated, truly we can make this easy. I can prove myself worthy of you. Will you allow me the chance?" He asks.

I already know what the answer is, but I'm curious as to what he would do to woo me, if one could call it that. "I don't know.." Yes, I do. I glance around and hum to myself as if thinking, "How will you convince me?"

He smiles wide, "The right way."

What did that even mean? What, he'd take me to a carnival or out to eat? Was he gonna open the car door for me and then walk me to the door?

I wanted him. Not in any dirty way, I wanted him to be by my side and I by his. I could admit it, maybe not Caliban himself though. Caliban was absolutely beautiful. I thought that every time I look in his green eyes or when he runs his hands through his hair. I wanted to be with him, as crazy as it was. He wanted it too which was the even crazier thing.

I could do this. I could try and if it works then I have something stunning and unique at my hands, and if it doesn't? I ask myself... Then it doesn't.

He continued, "You know, we can get to know each other. Call, text. I can take you out and teach you magical things, and you can teach me how to be a good boyfriend and human. I want to do it, I want to be the one who makes you happy every single day. Will you let me?"

Yes. A thousand times yes because I wanted this to work. I wanted that happiness with him.

"I want to give it a try, the human way. I'd like to l learn about Hell and see you the way you rule too. I want you to be you. Because I need to know you to love you, and in return, I will let you see who I am as well." I say. I feel nervous but hopeful. Something about his belief in us makes me hopeful.

Caliban takes my hands in his and smiles at me, "Then let's do this. All I ask is that you keep your mind open, my world is so different from yours." I nodded in agreement with what he is saying. We couldn't have been raised in more polar opposite worlds. "Just, please consider being at my side as the Queen of Hell, if this all goes right and you are ready. I'm willing to wait." He asks something of me that I'm not sure I can give him, but I nod because I'm willing to try.

I'm afraid of the things that come with being the Queen of Hell or being at his side, but I don't think my heart cares as much as my mind. Because some part of me knows I will want this one hundred percent in due time.

"Now," He says, pulling me towards the door with a chuckle, "Let's start with a date. I like ice cream, don't you?"

"Right now?! Caliban, it's like 9 o'clock, they are all closing soon!" I exclaim as he rushes me out the door, the chill breeze biting at my skin.

"We better hurry then, don't you think?" He laughed.

–––––

Don't forget to vote and leave a comment! I love hearing from you guys :)

Also, two updates in a day?! I'm motivated!