Chapter 3

"So, how'd it go with Caroline today?" Ricky asks Chris.

"Good! We're going out again next week."

"Cool, good for you guys. Did you see the money though?"

Chris's eyes widen, "Dude," He says, "Is Noah laundering money at the tattoo shop? Were their parents in the mob? Is that why you told me not to ask about them?"

Ricky rolls his eyes, "No. Look, I know I've technically been dating Noah for a few months but we were on tour for most of it, and I'm sure the story of her parents, which sounds like it's pretty tragic, wasn't something she wanted to tell me about over the phone. I've learned she prefers to talk about those kinds of things in person..."

"Is it all inheritance, do you think?"

"Maybe, but Noah's checked her bank balance on her phone around me before, and not that I'm trying to snoop or look at her phone while she's on it or anything, but her checking account looks like a phone number."

"That doesn't strike you as a little suspicious?"

"Of course it does, but she's such a great person! Nothing else about her would make me think that she's a weird or a bad person, and money isn't exactly something you ask someone about when you've only been dating them for a little while."

"God, if they have that much money, why do they even have jobs?"

"Honestly, I think it's out of boredom. I think they both picked careers that they really liked and wanted to pursue, because they wouldn't have to worry about money."

Chris sits back and sighs, "Yeah, man, I don't know...Caroline's great, I like her a lot, but the coat she wore today alone was at least $600. And I mean, I know I've dropped some money on some suits before, but those are suits. Her everyday outfit that she wore to Starbucks had to have been over a grand in total, maybe more. I just have so many questions." Chris rubs his face with his hands, then looks up at the ceiling for a minute before changing the subject, "We should get back to work."

x

Tuesday.

Noah sits on the couch, sipping her coffee and watching reruns of "The Office" on the TV. Caroline walks out of her bedroom still in her pajamas and yawns.

"Morning."

"Morning. You never wake up this late, are you skipping your workout?"

"I pulled a huge muscle in my leg yesterday, remember? I'm gonna give it a rest for today, skipping one day won't hurt. Besides, I...sort of stayed up all night texting Chris."

Noah raises her eyebrows, "Are you the cutest?"

Caroline smiles, "I just love talking to him. He's so cute and sweet and considerate and I can't get these damn butterflies out of my stomach and I can't wait to see him tonight. I don't know how I'm gonna get any work done today."

"Only seven more hours to go."

"That's seven hours too long."

"You really like this guy, don't you?"

Caroline sighs, then walks over to the couch as she knew exactly where it was, and she sits, "I don't know what it is about him, honestly. I just feel like I can trust him, you know? I've never felt this way about someone just after the first date. It's like I just can't get enough of him."

"When are you gonna sleep with him?"

"Noah!"

"What? It's a serious question. If you wanna take things slow, that's obviously okay, but it's still something you need to bring up."