Day the Sixth : Mirror

- - -

"Maaark," His mom called, "it's time for breakfast!"

Mark jolted upright for no particular reason. He found that was an effective strategy to wake himself up. Morning streamed into his room, forming alternating bands of shadow and sunlight across the floor and far wall. He glanced around, searching for his dresser, his sleep-fuzzed brain hiding it in plain sight. He swept his blanket off of his legs and flung his feet to the floor. Mark located the chest of drawers, and maneuvered around the stacks of papers, notebooks, and regular books that hid the majority of his floor. Carefully balanced towers of drawings, notes, ideas, and reading material filled every horizontal surface of Mark's bedroom, from his shelves to his furniture, even to his bed (though there wasn't much piled on there, due to his tendency to thrash in his sleep). His room wasn't very large, so he got creative with his storage.

"Last call for breakfast!"

"Coming Mom!" Mark shouted back, quickly throwing on a shirt and jeans. He sidestepped ever more of his columns to get to the kitchen as soon as possible. His mom was a great cook, and with his foodie father, well, let's just say there wouldn't be much food left by now. He speed-walked down the hallway connecting the bedrooms to the living room/kitchen area, hoping his dad hadn't eaten everything. He rounded the corner-

CRACK

Glass shattered. Mark fell backward, head cut and bloody from the mirror he had smashed into. Darkness rose from the bottom of his vision as he plummeted closer to the floor.

- - -

"Maaark," His mom called, "it's time for breakfast!"