18 - The Escape Job Part 1

A pounding headache was the first thing that greeted Sang when she pried her eyes open. Wincing at the bright light she realized she was laying on a bed, in a bedroom...that wasn't hers. She tried to jump up but the moment she sat up the world tilted. A hand went to her head only to feel a bandage encircling her forehead. Where was she? She was still wearing the same clothes as she was earlier though there was some dried streaks of red she assumed was blood. Panic began to clog her throat as she tried to think of the last thing she remembered.

They were at the church with father Paul and then they went back to the headquarters and she was practicing when a gas... The gas must have knocked her out. Whoever this was got her and could have gotten the rest of the team as well. She needed to get out of there as soon as possible.

Swinging her legs to the side of the bed, she attempted to stand up. The ground shifted underneath her as she stumbled to the foot board. She caught it just in time to avoid falling to the floor. Unfortunately, she still made a loud thud that seemed to echo in the small room. She froze wondering if anyone heard. Sure enough she heard footsteps coming towards the room. They were too fast and there was nothing she could do but brace herself to meet her captor.

The door opened without a knock and Sang was shocked to recognize the person on the other side. The racetrack seemed so distant but she had a good memory.

"Corey?!" she exclaimed stiffening as he took a step into the room, shutting the door behind him. He took another step forward which she mirrored taking one back letting go of the footboard. She wobbled on her feet, but she kept the door within her sight. That was her way out.

"Sang," Corey greeted eyes wide. He seemed nervous but his voice was gentle. "You shouldn't be out of bed with that injury. You hit your head pretty good."

"Why am I here?" she demanded. He winced at her harsh tone and took a deep breath wishing anyone else had been available to come in and give this talk.

"You were living with some bad people, Sang," Corey started, talking like she was an injured animal. She scoffed at his words.

"You don't know what you're talking about," she seethed. He took another step forward and an idea popped into her head.

"They are thieves and con men," Corey said taking yet another step closer. One more step and she would be able to reach out and touch him. "And kidnappers." Her glare intensified. Her initial terror completely forgotten. Who knew anger helped override fear?

"They did not take me," she stated emphasizing each word. She took a step forward closing the gap between them. Before he could move back she grabbed his arm and twisted throwing him over her shoulder. He hit the ground exactly like Elliot had when he taught her this move. She darted for the door but before she left she glanced back to the guy gasping for breath on the floor. "They freed me."

A hallway was what greeted her outside of the room. She saw stairs going down to the left and dashed for them. Running as hard as she could, she stumbled down the stairs into an entryway. Front doors. Her gaze zeroed in on them as she headed that way. She was inches away when an arm grabbed her around the waist halting her movement.

"Hello, little bird," a familiar Russian accent said into her ear. She whipped around and took in the smirking Russian but she noticed a hardness in his eyes. "You shouldn't hurt people who are saving you." She wiggled and pried at his arm but she couldn't get free. He easily turned and carried her into what looked like a living room. Couches were aligned in front of a large flat screen mounted on the wall. Shelves holding books and other knick knacks were situated on either side of the T.V.