History

Helen is surprisingly chatty. However, his structuring in sentences is awkward. He's more interested in talking about the things you like rather than himself.

"Hey, Helen?" Due to his inability to naturally smile, you couldn't tell if he's upset for interrupting. But he did remain silent, you took it as an indication that he's allowing you to speak.

"Um, no offence intended. Uh, is English your first language?" You shied away from his gaze.

"Yes, I cannot speak very well because people don't talk to me. But I am happy that you talk to me." He's attempting to smile, you could tell the process is excruciating because his face turned red and veins are throbbing on his forehead. His body starts to tremble too.

"Helen, i-if it hurts, I don't think you should continue." You squeezed his shoulder.

His smile instantly dropped into a neutral look. He started gasping for air, you waited for him to regain his composure. He picked up the beer can on the table and took a large swig.

"I want to smile, I want you to feel okay. I will not eat you." He took out a pair of gold rings from his pocket. Helen inspected them first before giving one to you.

You wore the ring as a necklace because it was too small to fit. His ring was slightly larger than his finger, it kept on slipping off. So what did he do? He did something extremely stupid.

In your opinion, it's stupid. But in Helen's sick mind, it's a genius plan. You watch him squeeze superglue out of the tube and into the small gap between his skin and the golden ring.

"H-hey wait! Helen, you're gonna have a hard time taking that off!" You exclaimed.

"That is the use, I don't want to take it off." He muttered absentmindedly as he continued until a whole tube is used up. He blew air on it so he could speed up the drying process.

You watched him with a grimace, you believe that he has an undiagnosed mental illness.

You already made a plan, you are going to build up trust between both of you by asking a lot of questions and answering his. You hope that you wouldn't step on any 'land mines' when choosing what to ask.

"So um, Helen. You... got any siblings?"

"I don't know, I am an orphan. My mother and father don't want me. Because I do not interest them." He continued blowing a stream of cold air on his ring.

"Oh... uh, you got any... old flames?" He paused and stared blankly at nothingness. Did you say something wrong?

"I used many lighters. But I mostly use matches and my stove." He replied with an unsure tone. You forgot he isn't familiar with these types of phrases.

"No, I meant lovers. Boyfriends? Girlfriends?"

"No one loves me. I don't have friends, boy or girl. They don't love me. I only have a wife." He looked at you, his eyes were glassy. You decided to keep your mouth shut for now.

He isn't lustful. Hell, he's the complete opposite of it.

He told you to take a shower first, you were relieved that he did not suggest to join you.

"Damn, the lock is broken." That means the door is always unlocked.

His bathroom isn't the cleanest, but it isn't the nastiest either. Yes, there were some mould spots growing here and there. But at least there isn't any clutter around.

You stepped into the bathtub and turned the shower on.

"Huh? Where's the shampoo?" There is only a bar of soap resting on the caddy. You washed your hair only with water and your body? Thoroughly with an ample amount of soap.

Once you're done, you heard a knock.

"Yeah? Helen?" You called out.

"I am giving you clean clothes." His raspy voice replied.

"Okay, hold on a minute." You wrapped the towel around you.

"You can come in now" you informed him.

The door creaks open and a pair of metal tongs, holding what looks like a shift dress, sticks in. He dropped the dress on the floor and quickly shuts the door. "I did not see anything." He told you, his voice was muffled because of the door.

Of course, he didn't see anything, he barely went in!

You were surprised and somewhat offended.

Then, when it comes to his turn to shower, he told you this.

"Please do not come in."

"Sure, sure I won't." You crossed your arms. He scurried in.

You heard something heavy being dragged on the ground. You assume that he used his laundry basket to block the door. "Please don't come in." His muffled voice reminded you again.

You couldn't believe it. This is the first male you ever met to be this shy towards naked bodies. Considering the fact that he kills humans for a living, his behaviour is just... odd.

"At least he's not a pervert." You muttered under your breath as you adjust your shift dress.