Gift

"Hey, is that your... dad?" Your friend pointed at Helen.

"Biological daddy? Nope. Sugar daddy? Maybe." Your friend raised both of her eyebrows in surprise.

"Um. Okay. I'm uh... not judging, but uh..." her eyes trailed to Helen as he entertained himself by poking a mimosa plant growing on campus grounds. Your friend grimace at his 'giggles' which sounded more like painful whimpering.

"Is he okay?" She asked carefully. You rolled your eyes and nodded.

"He's just special. Nothin' to worry bout." She noticed that something looks oddly attached to his ring finger.

"So like on the... um...spectrum?" You shrugged your shoulders.

"Don't know, don't care— did you finish your slides yet?" Your friend blinked and snapped out of her thoughts.

"O-oh! Right... didn't you see the email I sent you?" She replied, trying her very best not to gawk at the strange (and seemingly dangerously childlike) man behind you, admiring the grass.

"Sorry, I live in a cave. Ha ha, Pendrive please." You showed her the palm of your hand. She rummaged through her hand bag to fish it out before handing it to you.

You thanked her with a tight lipped smile and walked away, a bit insecure about Helen, a middle age following you like a lost puppy.

"Helen, c'mon. I gotta go back to my dorm." You gritted your teeth, your campus sadly allows any Tom, Dick and Harry to saunter in and out of the dorms as long as it is within curfew. Security will only start to work at night, at eight in the evening until six in the morning.

So you can't push Helen away.

You sighed as he rose up to his full height. Your friend watches both of you suspiciously.

"Welp, gotta... git goin'!" You said it in a fake, cheery tone. Helen's hazel eyes twinkled at your 'vigour', he likes this type of energy.

Just like how a child would.

You started brisk walking away, Helen followed suit.

He held your hand gently as if you're made out of very fragile glass. You raised an eyebrow at soft touch, why?

"I am very strong, I don't want to hurt you because you are my wife and I love you very much." He told you. You nodded your head and bitterly smacked on your lips.

"Good to know."

You sighed in relief. After an hour of him watching you race to finish your assignments in your cramped dorm room, Helen meekly asked if he could explore your campus, roam around. He seem to be terrified while asking permission to do so.

It's because he didn't want you to get the wrong idea that he didn't find you interesting, he does! You're the reason for him to continue living!

It's just that your assignments bore him to death and it stole all your attention away from him. However, he thought to himself: he should not be selfish to the person who gave him interest.

He can't just force you to stop being interested in doing your assignments. So how is he going to cope with this boredom? By 'hunting' other interesting things and bringing it back, in hopes of catching your eye.

"B-but I can stay if you want! I will happily watch you enjoying your homework!" He stuttered as he nervously chewed on his thumb.

You groan and rubbed your face. You wanted to tell him that you're not enjoying this at all. But you knew how his immature mind works, by saying that, you may get your lecturer killed.