17. Amor Vincit Omnia - Love conquers all

"Liv!" Zach yelled throughout the atrium as soon as he burst through the door. No answer. He ran to the bedroom, the kitchen, but Liv was nowhere to be found.  

"Buongiorno!" Mr. Moretti's booming theatrical voice echoed throughout the atrium as he stepped in with a brightly shining purple toga wrapped around his large frame, and a golden laurel wreath resting on his head. "Come, my boy. Let us ride to the games to honor the coming of Flora." he ushered.

"First I need to find Liv. It is very important," Zach tried to explain. But Mr. Moretti already had some people wrap a bloodred cape around Zach's shoulders, without paying his words much mind. "You'll see her after the games, my boy."

"No!" Zach insisted. "I need to see her now. Please, Mr. Moretti, it is important."

For a moment the old man glared at him before a smile crossed his lips and he let out a raspy laugh. "Oh, I get what this is about. Very well, if we leave now you can probably see her before the games."

"Thank you," Zach exclaimed following the large man to the golden chariot that awaited them. The two- conveyance was drawn by two majestic horses, both clad in the same shining armor as the chariot's design. The sun reflected off the shiny surface, creating the illusion of a golden sun passing through the streets of Rome, with a loudly bouldering man at the reins. Zach stood beside him, holding on to the chariot for dear life.

Staring out over the crowd below them, he realized that within hours this city had changed from his personal hell to a tiny bite of heaven. The air was delicious, filled with the scent of the millions of flowers decorating every window.  Each side of the street ran rivers of people, their shirts, and clothing reminding Zach of gelato colors. Some of the kids had dressed in Roman attire and came running up to the chariot, waving, throwing flowers and cheering him on. Sheepishly Zach waved back, humbled by their admiration. Mr. Moretti had really outdone himself on the Ludi Florae, it seemed that the whole city had gone back in time, if only for a day.

As the chariot slowed down to come onto the Forum Romanum, Zach spotted a cream tunic with fiery red hair, weaving through the crowd. "Liv! Olivia!" He called out, but his voice was drowned in the encreasing volume of the music. Without thinking twice, he jumped off the chariot, craping his knee on the way down and stumbled through the crowd. Pushing people away, his vision was solely focused on that familiar red hair in the distance. 

He yelled her name again, picking up the pace out of fear that he would lose her. When at last, the crowd parted for him, he managed to grab her shoulder, spin her around, and stop. The brown-eyed woman staring back at him was not Liv. She was just a spectator, dressed for the festival. Deflated, he got back to the chariot as his mind flooded with questions. Where could she be? How would he find her in this crowd? Was everything okay? 

Tuning out Mr. Moretti's never-ending monologue, Zach kept scanning the crowd, hoping, praying he would find her. Soon.

The tavertine limestone of the Colosseum soon cast its shadow over him as Zach was led by Amar to one of the former hypogeum cages in the arena, where gladiators and animals were held before contests began. "Zach!" Amar called out, "are you even listening to me?"

Zach turned to face the curly-haired assistant with a wide gaze.

Amar rolled his eyes, "I just told you, that your first fight is against Lorenzo. I have a dulled gladius sword and a leather harness ready for you. Is there anything else I can get you before we start?"

"Yes, Liv." Zach replied instantly, causing the assistant's eyes to become as wide as plates. "You mean, she didn't come here with you? Where is she?"

"Mr. Moretti told me she was here. Are you telling me you don't know where she is?" Zach yelled, feeling the tension rise in his voice with every word. Something wasn't right.