5. A Confirmation

Not A Cliché

"D-Dad?" Tom blurted out and his fists clenched inside his pockets.

Ashton, Astrid and the MD looked at him confusedly. Astrid took it upon her to answer, "Yes, Ashton is Mr Brawley's son."

"Did you guys not know that?" Ashton asked with surprise and the Senior Brawley laughed heartily.

"Ah, you young people really are something." Tom smiled uneasily, obviously taking time to process the new pieces of information. 'So, Ashton's the son of a Managing Director of a world-famous German car brand. And his father favours the girl who has obvious chemistry with his son. Yeah, this is life.'

Just then a flash went off in his mind reminding him of something. 'Not that I care about it. I am just startled with this information.' He calmed himself down even though his heart felt bleak. 'Why don't I like what is happening?'

Spotting someone from the guests, Mr Brawley Sr relieved the conversation. "Well then, I'll excuse myself. Delighted to see you, Mr Holland." He nodded at Harrison before leaving who, in turn, replied the gesture.

'What a crackpot.' Haz thought warily, remembering their cold greeting from before but nodded as well.

"Bye, Dad," Ashton said as his father walked away. He turned to his companions. "Guys..." He laughed and Tom saw the similarities between his and Mr Brawley Sr's smile. "How could you not get that bit? My father was introduced as Mr Brawley here."

Tom, now somewhat recovered, replied, "Yeah, but it's not like he's the only Brawley in the world to be connected with you." But in reality, the reason Tom didn't catch the name thing was because while the whole speech thing went on, he had busied himself in making ripples in his water. "What about you then, eh? How come you didn't tell us about it?" Tom tried to bring some composure and playfulness back in his tone.

"It makes me slightly uncomfortable. As if I am bragging..." He said and his hand brushed his hair as he took a glance of Astrid. 'He does that a lot, doesn't he?' Tom observed the gesture and Ashton's stare at Ms Williams.

"He's an apprentice at the company." 'Apprentice, my ass! That's what the prince in "Cinderella" said. But he still got the throne, didn't he?' Tom thought to himself bitterly and listened to Astrid,

"To avoid any accusations of nepotism, Ashton started working here from the upper management level to the highest," Astrid explained with a small smile.

"Hopefully to the highest," Ashton added. "Anyways, it's probably my fault for not clearing this up first."

'You're damn right, you smart, rich, tall, charming son of a fool!' Tom screamed from inside but laughed nonetheless.

"Well, have you two danced yet? Tom and Mr Osterfield?" Astrid inquired like a seasoned hostess and changed the subject that was growing to be a dull one and her sharp mind had spotted it. 'But why does Tom look somewhat down after this? Did Mr Brawley's involvement change something... Or am I just imagining things?' She thought to herself.

She continued, "I mean, separately of course. Or even together. Since you're on a date here." She was met with giggles, and Tom loosened up. 'She's like a calm breath of air after a deadly hurricane.' He thought with a smile.

"I could dance but I feel my own date's not interested in me. So, I am gonna let him suffer and dance with someone else." Harrison replied. He had quickly shifted to a friendly approach after seeing how the two talked with Tom, and more importantly, how Tom spoke with them. With Tom's open and amicable attitude towards Astrid and Ashton, Harrison also adopted the same.