6. Deeper

Not A Cliché

"I hope you're not tired," Tom spoke as he held her delicate fingers in his broad hand.

"I wouldn't have said yes if I was." She smiled and so did he. "It's slow dancing anyways. You just sway along with the music." She kept one hand on his arm while he held the other one.

"Well, then I must say, you sway beautifully, Astrid." Tom wrapped his arm around her and placed his palm on one her back.

She laughed and Tom's eyes widened as he spotted something. "Are those dimples that I see?"

"Well spotted. They are very minor though." She widened her grin to show them and Tom chuckled.

'They are small, aren't they?' Tom thought with a smile as he observed them. He moved his eyes to look past her where he saw Harrison glancing at then with an unexplainable gaze. Tom surpassed a laugh after seeing his mate like that and shifted his eyes to Astrid.

As they whirled, she also caught sight of Harrison. "Your friend, Harrison, is a good company," Astrid commented.

"Yes, he is." He answered while also being careful with her as if she was some handsomely carved vase. Her silky gown ran through this fingers and he felt as if he could never let go of it.

She smiled at someone from the tables and Tom was utterly glad it wasn't her prospective groom or future father-in-law. "I have seen some of his movies. His 'Final Destination' one was absolutely amazing."

"I hope you've told him this. He loves being complimented." Tom said as he was fascinated with how her earrings were sparkling under the chandelier.

Astrid agreed, "Even I love compliments." Tom playfully raised his eyebrows at that. "Ah, well, I hope to catch him before the night's over."

"Hmm. Seeing your love for being complimented, I won't deprive you of that."

First, she was surprised but then she giggled as he continued, "You look gorgeous, Astrid." He smiled, hoping she wouldn't catch the huskiness in his tone.

"Thank you, Tom." She replied and blushed a bit.

"And not just now, but I think you've always been the star of the room anytime we have ever met... Which, now that I think about it, was only twice before." She chuckled. "There is something about how you speak that just keeps one intrigued."

Her eyes stayed at him, perhaps trying to gauge the honesty in his statement, but soon enough, they softened. "That's an awfully unprofessional compliment." He smirked, waiting for something more. "Very genuine, nonetheless. Thank you."

"You're very welcome." He said and she concentrated on his brooch.

"How long have you two known each other?" Astrid asked.

Tom seemed confused for a second but realized quickly. 'Ah, she's talking about Haz.' "Some 9-10 years. He and I both attended the BRIT school."

She had raised her eyebrows, "That's a long time. How do you two even manage to meet each other in spite of being so busy?"

Tom's chest subtly went up and down and Astrid's gaze fixated on it. "It's... managing, I guess. We did hit a hard patch some years ago, it's fine now though."

She nodded, "It's not friendship if you don't face a rough spot every now and then." Tom glanced at her. "Even if it's against each other." He nodded and saw that she just realised something. "And in your case, I think, friendship and competition strike a wonderful balance." Astrid referred to both of them being in the same industry.

He nodded, "Yes, I ask for parties when his movie does well and I make fun of him when it doesn't." She laughed. "Well, how about you? Any such friendships?" Tom asked.

Her eyes rose up to meet his as he continued, "Competition and friendship together?" She asked for confirmation and he nodded, "Well, I must say, my life is full of them. I do have a few of them here. Most are in the States though."

"Hmm." He raised his eyebrows and both of them whisked skillfully across the ballroom. "Do you miss being so away from home?"

Astrid took a moment before answering, "Ah, you remember." Tom gave a soft nod. "...I've always liked London ever since I came here. I do miss my home but there is the thrill of being away and sustaining alone."

'So she isn't a family person?' His mood fluctuated a bit but he controlled himself. "I understand. Is it the weather that you like?"

"No!" She exclaimed slightly with a laugh and Tom found himself doing the same.

"Thought so."

With a smile, she continued, "It's mostly wet here, and I hate rains. Never liked it... But when the sun blesses us, it feels great to be someone who can feel grateful for it."

"Do you always speak so mysteriously?" He wondered with his head titled slightly.

She giggled, "I hope not. Otherwise, my parents must have had a hard time cracking my code for going to the loo in the early years."

Tom laughed and sensed the music shifting towards its climax. "This is my first time ending a conversation while talking about loos."

"I see. What a dull life you lead, Mr Holland." She remarked playfully.

"That's because I had never met anyone like you before."

He felt Astrid draw a breath as her waist contracted beneath his arms and he was glad that he had such an effect on her.

Astrid kept glancing up at him and he, very daringly, returned the glance.

"Well, thank you for the dance... Tom." She spoke when applauses were heard around them.

Tom smiled and lightly pressed her hand which he held during the dance as if to instil it in his memory of how it had felt with her being so close to him. "Believe me, it is my pleasure."

She smiled gracefully and retreated towards her table while he did the same. As he stood next to Harrison, who kept observing him suspiciously, Tom made sure that his heavy breathing was not apparent.

He gulped and sighed. 'Well, that didn't help at all.' He pursed his lips nervously. 'I find her more attractive than ever now. Forget about being genuine or not.'

But he also knew that she won't be a sight that he could witness again. Balls like this don't happen all the time and...

Maybe this was the last time he would ever meet Astrid.

***
Very uncertain about this chapter. How was it?

Thanks to:

-LJones34, mahgadahling, maddelyn99 and _ywen_slan for voting.

-LJones34 for commenting on the story.

-mindlessbehaviour20, adih17, sophizabookworm, mya24252, C_mrs_jb, Syndicate1523, Taya013, _feysand_4_ever, Laila_thomaslover, Yamilet154, QueenMillie03 for adding the story to your reading list.

And thanks to everyone who reads the story.

- 7 April, 2020