Chapter Three

"Hey, Jer, when you're all rich and famous from being in A-List's new band, can you buy me a new cell phone? No offense to mom and dad, but my current cell phone sucks," Jess—Jer's fourteen-year-old younger sister—asked him as she texted away on her phone while lying on the couch upside down.

"I don't know yet if I'm in the band or not, Jess," Jer said as he flipped through digital Trio albums on his family's living room Smart TV.

"Uh, not from what you told me. You told me the president of A-List Records was practically drooling over you and the other group of finalists left. Well, except for that one guy who was in the waiting room at the time or whatever. Which means you'll totally be in the band!" Jess said, sitting up on the couch and kicking her older brother in the leg for no reason in particular.

"Yeah, it's very possible. But I haven't received a call yet. Which freaks me out a little, to be honest. You think that if they were sure I was in the band on Tuesday that they would have called me the next day or even the day after. It's Friday, a whole three days later, and I don't know anything," Jer said, face scrunching in worry.

"Jer, you always overthink things and worry. Stop it. You killed it in the audition and the call-backs, and I'm sure they'll call you soon and offer you a spot in the band. I'm sure they're taking forever because they're trying to figure stuff out or whatever," Jess flopped back on the couch upside down again.

"Yeah. I guess you're right. I guess they got to finalize every member's positions...and draft up contracts...and get all the legal stuff done, whatever that all is...and they need to figure out a name for the band. I forgot there isn't even one yet," Jer thought out loud.

"Exactly. I'm sure there's so many reasons why they haven't called you yet," Jess said as he resumed texting her friends from school, which ended two hours ago.

Jer slowly slid down on the couch. "Yeah, and I'm sure Jimmy Kim and Brandon hasn't—"

Jer's sentence cut-off when he heard the phone ring in the kitchen. He and Jess immediately sat up and stared at each other.

"What are you looking at me, for? Go get it! It could be them!" Jess exclaimed as she kicked Jer off the couch.

"Okay, okay. I'm going. I'm going." Jer ran to the kitchen and picked up the phone. Sure enough, the number was the same, exact one from last Saturday when he got a call from President Hyong's secretary telling him he made it to the call-backs.

"It's them!" Jer excitedly yelled to Jess.

Jess jumped up from the couch and sprinted to him. "Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! Answer the phone, Jer! Answer it!"

"I am! I am!" Jer exclaimed as he pressed the "Answer Call" button.

"Hello, this is President Yong-jin Hyong from A-Lists Records speaking. May we speak to Mr. Jeremy Park?" the voice at the other end of the phone said.

"This-this is he," Jer said, feeling a mix of excitement and fear.

"Oh, hello Jeremy!" President Hyong said enthusiastically. "Or did you say that you go by Jer? I can't quite remember."

"Yes, uh...I go by Jer. I did say that at the audition, sir," Jer glanced at Jess who was jumping up and down in front of him in impatient anticipation.

"Well, Jer, as promised, I am calling to inform you if you made it into A-List Records' new band or not. There were many great finalists, but as you and I and everyone in the audition room saw on Tuesday during the eleventh configuration, you and the other six members who were present at that moment really had something special. Therefore, I am pleased to inform you that A-List Records wants you to be in our new boy band, if you and your parents accept our offer. According to our records, you are only sixteen, which means your parents need—"