Sixteen

"Well, that wasn't a turn I was expecting to take," Alexander mumbled from beside me, just enough for the three of us to hear him. I inhaled, my hands balling into fists on their own as I watched Edward put his hand atop of the women and place it off his shoulder.

"Ye look somein' hit yea in da' face. Ye com' on in naw, get com'y we is almost inished making food. Always got enough 'of more."

Alexander laid a hand on my shoulder, giving me a little nudge, and finally, I broke my gaze from the two by the hut to turn my head to look at him. He gave me a soft smile, a hit of pitty I didn't know I had needed. I turned back to see Edward step forward, but was stopped by a burly man who looked to have a jug of wine in his hands "Celebrations! Yer friends came fre a visit! And ye thought no one of yer own would come fer yea weddin' and look, now ye got four extra chaps to drink wit before ye baby comes an makes ye a woman for a while."

"I'm sorry, what?" We walked into the village, the woodsy men were very friendly and set out stumps for us to sit along as the fire was being built in the middle of this small little town.

"It's not. I can explain Is-" I put a hand up as Edward came behind me.

"We will leave by nightfall tomorrow. The horses need rest and so do my men. Alexander, be sure our rooms have fires ready and waiting. Tsar and Ronald will need to dry their clothes after stepping through the puddles."

"Is-"

"The horses will need food and water. Ronald, you are in charge of that."

"Yes, sir."

"Please just let me speak," Edward begged.

"I am not interested in anything you need to say," I said, walking into a nearby hut where I was being led to by a young woman with brown hair. She opened the curtain that was covering the door and ushered us inside. Edward was following behind us but stopped when Alexander turned around, I couldn't see his face but whatever look that he was giving him, it made him turn away and leave.

 Edward was following behind us but stopped when Alexander turned around, I couldn't see his face but whatever look that he was giving him, it made him turn away and leave

"Perhaps I'm being too hard on him." I mused, sipping on ale. We had eaten and were invited back into the makeshift pub.

Which was really just a hut with ale, but it was warm with fire and more than enough room for ten men or more.

"Being too hard on him? The man left you with worry for nearly five months to have a family with wildlings. No offence to you lot." Ronald said, smiling nervously at the men sitting around us when their heads turn to us. "He couldn't even be bothered to send you a letter and tell you he was ok. He let you worry yourself sick. While he what? Got married and had a child?"

I looked at Tsar, and he looked back atm, shrugging as he took a sip from his mug. "I hate to agree with him. Edward is a good friend of mine. But, what else could possibly be the reason for him to be here. He never sent a raven home with word of his family or reasoning." He shook his head. "And not just for you. What about his father? Sister? Rather selfish."