Seventeen

The next day was long. And I wanted nothing more than to leave. But I also wanted to stay. I didn't want to leave without him. But I also needed to speak with Alexander.

So that is why when the morning came I was up early. When I had gotten back to the hut last night Alex had been sleeping, as well and Tsar and Ronald. So I was unable to ask them anything. Plus, I didn't want to bring anything up while anyone else was around. When I rose, I dressed quickly and waited for Alexander to stir. Once he was awake I invited him on a walk, instructing the other two men to get our food ready for when he arrived back.

"It is beautiful out here. I sometimes wish I lived beyond the castle walls, where the animals are."

"Do you sir?"

"I do. They're free."

"You always have the option of being free."

"Do I? I'm a future King. I don't think freedom is really in my cards. Not with the things I like to do in my past time."

Alexander stopped walking. The sky was blue, hardly a cloud grazed in it. The wind blew softly between the trees, birds chirped in the distance. "Why didn't you tell me, Alex."

I looked at him, and I could see it in his eyes, he knew without me saying, he knew what I meant from the way his face paled. "Mh' Lord."

"No," I said hold up my hand. "I want no excuses. I want the truth. Please."

He paused, biting on his lip lightly, pulling the skin with his teeth as he looked around the ground as if waiting for it to speak to him. To answer all his questions.

But I would not. And I would not wait forever.

"The first note came a week after he was due home." He started, looking up at me. "It was not my intent to read it. But when I saw your name on it, and where it had come from. I was curious. He didn't speak of anything that had made me think that he was with you. Not in the first letter. Not in the second. But the third he said that he had missed you. That he was sorry he was not home yet, that he did not wish you to worry. He spoke of his father and how he wished you to tell him that he was well. He brought up running away. And I do not know my lord. I got — I got scared that you would run away. I did not want you with him. I had not met the man and yet, here I was hating him because he had a hold on you.

"The night I had kissed you, that was the night of the third letter. Sir. I want you to understand that I did not hide it from you as a way to hurt you. I just lost everyone, I had just lost my family, my home, my lover. I did not want to lose you as well. Though, I guess really. I never had you to start with."

"Alex..." It was short, I reached over and took his hand, trying to give whatever comfort I could. "You will find someone of great nature. Someone who will drop their world at your feet to be with you. Someone who will not care about your gender, or the length of your hair." He chuckled, shrugging his shoulders.

"You believe there is someone else out there? Who is not you, who is not Matthew?"

"Of course I do, you're an amazing person."

Alexander nodded, seemingly exhausted with the whole situation. He turned his back to me, starting back towards the village. I was itching to leave, but I knew there was much to do before we set off. And we had planned to leave before nightfall. And we hoped to make it to the nearing village to spend the night. But I still had one person I needed to have words with.

And that person was sitting outside her home, one hand on her stomach as she rubbed it, looking down at it with a small smile. Rose was a beautiful woman, one that I could see myself with if I was interested. She would make a wonderful queen by just what Edward had told me about her. She was selfless, she cared more for those around her than herself. She had run away from home for not just her safety, but because she did not wish for her family to have that shame. "Rose—" I said motioning towards the stood that sat along with hers, "Do you mind if I sit?"

"Oh! Yes, of course, mh' lord. Price Is— Oh, my sarry" She smiled at me softly tightening her hand on her stomach. "Baby likes to move lots. Sometim' it gets a paining."

"Understandable."

"Eddie told me lots about yea." She said before letting out a sigh. "I'm sarry about all 'dis stress it mus' put yea under. I never meant for any of it ta happen."

"Rose, please it is not your fault. Edward is to nice for his own good. But you seem to know that already. I'm happy as long you and he are happy. But, I will be happier when he comes home."

She gave me another sad smile, placing her hand over mine, akin to how my mother would before giving it a light squeeze.

"He is a good man. And from the sound of it, you both work mighty well with one anothr' I'm rea' glad he foun' his way inta my life. I don't know where I would be righ' now if it wasn't for him. If yea gets married. I want an invite yea?"

"I'm a Prince. I do not think we will be married any time soon. But I will keep you in mind." I said giving her a little wink before standing up. Soon I was walking back and were meet with Tsar and Ronald packing our horses, getting them ready for the trip back to the castle. I took a deep breath as I walked towards them, patting my horse on the nose. Tsar was having a small chat with Edward and another man who l knew only as Fin, who lived in the village of course.

"What do you want me to tell everyone back home? Did we find you, or are you still missing?"

Edward paused, looking at me for a moment before shaking his head. "You found me. But let them know I am not ready to come home. I have... business here and I may be back one day." He walked towards me, putting a hand on my shoulder, his voice low. "Let them know I will be back once I am finished here. But only tell our fathers. I do not wish to have everybody know."

"Of course."

"Thank you, love."

A flutter lit in my chest for the first time in months when I heard one simple word that I didn't know I was longing for. I gave Edward a smile, and he gave me one in return, a little secret for us both to hold as I lifted my leg over my horse and sat upon her.

We bid our farewells to the people in the village as we rode out, and I hated that I was leaving him behind. But I knew it was something that needed to be done.