Ten

The weather had been dreadful the next day. The rain had started around high tea. It made me wonder how the battle was going. Did the rain mean it had come to an end? The rain was not one's friend when it came to war. It became harder to see, harder to move.

I pondered of what it would be like, had I been born to a different family. Though I was more feminine in my movements, I wondered if that would be my downfall if I had not been brought up with a silver spoon. Would I be forced into war, or to work? Marry a woman and have a family?

I sighed, stepping down the fall into the reading rooms, where my mother was sat, a needle and thread in her hand as she worked on a sheet on her lap.

"Oh my darling," She greeted with a smile. "Do sit with me." She didn't put her work down, but I did as I was told as I sat beside my mother in the chair.

My mother was a gentlewoman, one who I could share all with, though I was sure if she knows my feelings for men she wouldn't wear well. I didn't worry about her never speaking to me again, I was her child, and we had a bond. But my mother wanted grandchildren, she wanted a daughter-in-law, she wanted a big family. And I was her only child. So all of that fell upon me.

Harlow would be married soon enough, and having her own children for my mother to coddle. But it wasn't the same. Not when Harlow's children would not wear the crown of the kingdom.

Many nights I laid awake, wondering how far we would go, Edward and I. To be safe from the eyes of all around us. But then I remembered it was no use. I was a prince, and my life was here.

"You're very quiet, is something wrong?" I looked towards my mother, her brown hair falling in waves down her back. I shook my head. "Oh love." She leaned over, pressing a hand to my cheek. "Your father spoke of you not being well. Are you worried? Nothing to fear. We are safe in the castle." She said, trying to help my nerves with no avail.

"I just worry," I said, looking at the small frame sitting adjacent to me. "I wish I could do more to help." Mother nodded, placing her hand above mine.

"I know my dear. If you had been more interested in the art of battle, your father and I would be more than proud to see you on the field. But you seemed to only enjoy going to matches to see your friends. And you're more than talented enough in music and art. But if that is something you wish, I will not stop you."

I laughed, shaking my head as I gave my mothers hand a squeeze. "No mother, I don't wish to fight in the war. But if I could do more than sit in the castle while they're all fighting."

"You could pray. Pray as hard as you wish for those men. That is what they need at this time. Your prayer will do more than enough to ease not only them but yourself." I faked a smile at my mother, knowing she meant well. But the idea of turning to God to pray for my male lovers' safety did not sit well with me. But it was not as if I could tell my mother that. The fact was that I did say a prayer or two. But I questioned if he listened. Wondered if he knew I was even there, speaking to him

I let out a small sigh careful not to let mother hear it before getting up from the chair, and leaning over and kissing her cheek. "Thank you, mother. "

"Of course my child. I will keep them in my prayers as well. Promise."

Giving her a small smile, I turned away, walking down the hallway, picking at my thumbnail. I could hear the rain still, the sound that rumbled in the sky.

I slept for the rest of the day away. As well as the next. Until I could not be bothered to stay in my room no longer. Tsar had brought food, but my joints ached to move.

"Any word?" I asked Tsar as he and Alexander hung clothes on the line outside the maids' corridor.

"No my lord. A raven had brought a letter earlier this morning. But I've heard no words of what it tells."