Chapter Three: Training

It's been a week since lucy got here, happy kinda know what's up but not to a certain extent. He really doesn't know why she is here other that I need her help with some things and we knew each other before fairy tail.
No one at the guild knows and I haven't gone back yet, happy was told not to tell anyone where I was. I took a month off and I plan to use it. Lucy is thinking about getting a job if she's going to be here for a while which I support. If she wants a job than why should I stop her.
I have a week and a half left on this vacation I'm taking. Having lucy here with me is taking the stress of the day that is about to come. Two days until the fifteen-year anniversary of my parent's death.
"Hey Natsu ready for some more training before happy gets back?" lucy says. For the last week, we have been working out. I'm not too out of shape due to I also do requests and that does help.
"Sure, let me change real quick," I say knowing I can't train in jeans. Lucy is already ready so she heads outside to prepare whatever she's going to do to me.
Changing into some sweat pants I head outside to be greeted by Lucy standing there. I wonder what she has planned for today.
"Today we are going to learn self-defense without magic," lucy says and I nod. Igneel used to make me fight without magic. Seeing how it's a skill that a lot of mages lack. They are too dependant on their magic and not their physical abilities.
"I'm going to show you a few quick tricks, normally, you don't want to engage in fighting too deep if you have no magic. So what you do is aim for the throat," Lucy explains. I know Igneel once told me that if I was to ever get into a fight without magic, I was to hold my ground but try to find an escape route.
Lucy shows me some, soon lucy gears up with padding so I don't hurt her too badly. She also has a neck guard on.
"Okay, aim a hard as you can, without magic, at my throat and I'll try to doge," lucy says and I try a few times but she manages to getaway. So I make it look like I'm going to kick her but before my legs hit her. She has already left her neck unguarded and I hit her neck. She stumbles back and takes her helmet off.
"Didn't expect that?" lucy says with a huge smile on her face. Lucy says she's going to go to the river and wash up so I told her I'll continue. I know I don't have to, but I want to.
I don't know how long I have been out here. I'm practicing my knife throwing on a tree. I also hit the target dead center. Igneel also said that it was my best quality.
When I turn to get some water lucy is leaning against the post of my deck. Her wet hair is drying. She smiles brightly at me.
"I kinda forgot how good you were at your aim," Lucy says and I chuckle. I put my knives away in my mom's old set. Mom's friend was borrowing it when the house was burnt so she gave them to me. My mom's name is carved into the handles. Nashi Ella-Rose Dragneel. My mom was everything to me and everything to lucy as well. My mom would care for us when lucy's parents couldn't or it was tough.
Even though I was young, I have a lot of fond memories of her. And so does lucy I bet.
"Where did you get your mother's knives," Lucy asked hugging herself. I now notice she's wearing my shirt which is huge on her.
"Clair had them all along, she didn't know if I was alive or not but she kept them," I tell lucy. Lucy carefully pulls out a knife and gently traces my mom's name with the tip of her index finger.
"How are you holding up after all these years?"
"Okay, it got very lonely when I first left knowing I didn't know where I was. That was until one day, gramps found me and told me that there was a place where everyone was welcomed, eventually, that feeling of guilt went away as I thought all of you would be better off if I wasn't around to cause trouble" I tell her not meeting her chocolate eyes.
"You know, you were the best kind of trouble, that's what made us such good of friends Natsu, don't feel sorry that you left, you listened t your gut," Lucy says sliding the knife back into the pouch. I wrap them in a little red sash, red was mom's favorite color.