𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕

harry

"YOU want some juice, kid?" I ask over my shoulder, listening as Cody drops whatever toy he's playing with and runs into to the kitchen.

"And a cookie?" he asks, looking up at me hopefully.

I glance at my watch before nodding. I'll probably regret giving him a cookie before bed, but the kid is too goddamn cute to say no.

"You gotta sit at the table like your momma says."

He pulls himself up and into the chair, one of his fists closed tightly around something. He struggles a little, but I found out real quick not to help him. Turns out he's about as stubborn as his mom.

Setting the glass down in front of him, I watch him contemplate whatever it is in his hand and the drink he needs both hands for.

"What's in your hand?"

His blue eyes find mine. "The man gave it to me," says quietly. "Told me to keep it for later."

"What is it?"

Cody pauses, his hand tightening around whatever it is that's clenched between his clammy little fingers.

I wait patiently.

He opens his little hand and I stare down at the shiny object that rolls across his chubby palm.

I can actually feel the moment my heart stops beating.

It takes a moment for me to find my voice. "You mind if I take a look?"

Cody hesitates for a moment.

"I'll give it back, I promise." I force a smile, or the closest thing I can to a smile.

Finally, he shrugs, dropping it into my open hand.

Turning it over, I hold it between two fingers. It's only then, once it's in my hands and out those of a four-year-old, that my heart gives a kick to restart. "Who gave this to you?"

"The man."

It takes everything I have not to shout.

"What man?"

Cody licks the orange juice from his top lip. "At the store today with Momma."

Blood thunders in my ears so loud I can barely hear.

"You show your momma yet?"

He shakes his head. "Uh-uh. It's my secret."

Taking a deep breath, I close my hand around the 9mm bullet. I kneel down beside Cody, my knees and hands shaking. "I know I said I'd give it back, but do you mind if I keep it a while?"

"I guess." Cody shrugs, looking totally chill with his juice while my whole fucking world explodes.