Ch. 2 New Teacher

"Where's your backpack?"

"It's next to the garage door."

Chase grabs a piece of toast from the toaster as mom was lecturing him about his backpack. I was sitting at the table eating breakfast before we headed to school.

We wake up pretty early, thanks to our parents, but it gives me time to take a shower, put make-up on and do all the girl shit I have to accomplish before classes.

It even gives me time to sit down at the table and have breakfast with my family.

Dad leaves around eight to go help his friend with- whatever they do. He told me countless times although I can never remember.

Mom is in some type of social group thing. They only have meetings three times a week and today is an off day for her, so she gets to stay home and do whatever.

It must be nice to not work your whole life, but have millions upon millions stashed in your bank account.

Although I don't care what they say, once I get out of high school, I'm looking for a job. I will fight with them because this is something I've been wanting for years but can never get because of my parents.

I want to be able to know what it's like to make your own money. I hate having to be handed money on the spot and I didn't work for it.

Sounds insane, yes.

Welcome to my life.

"Do you have everything for school?" Mom kept asking as we were trying to walk out the door, but she insists on making sure we have everything.

"Yes ma'am." We said in union then glared at each other.

Walking out to the garage, I went ahead and started my car up to get it warmed up. It was winter, so it was cold outside. My car usually doesn't like the cold, so it takes a little longer to get warm.

Stuffing my hands in my jacket pockets, I watched mom smother Chase in kisses. He tried to get out of her grasp but she kept pulling him back, which was funny as I couldn't help but laugh.

"Carter wants some." Chase said then stuck his tongue out.

I shrug as I walk over and pull my mom into a tight hug. Swaying back and forth, she pulls back and smiles at me before tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Have a great day, sweetie." She kisses my cheek. "I love you."

"Love you too. Tell dad I love him!" I say as I get into my car and placed the seat belt over my chest. Chase did the same thing as I pull out of the garage then out the driveway.

Chase starts messing with the stereo for a moment. "Why does mom always have to smother us before school? One day I went to school with her lipstick on my face and I had to lie to my friends about seeing a girl before class."

I made a face as I looked at the road. "She's just loving us before we leave. We could die in a horrible car accident and we would never know. Cherish each moment like it's your last, brother." I smile over at him.

Mom and dad has always been caring and loving, which isn't often a child goes to school with love in their lives. I understand that a lot of kids are going through hell right now, even though I might not be able to fully understand their pain, I never take a moment like that for granted.

As we were on our way to school, I had came to a stop at a red light. I look over at Chase as he was doing something on his phone. My eyes averted away from him as they landed on someone standing at the corner of the street.

When I looked a little closer, I noticed it was a man and he was holding a sign up. I squinted my eyes as I tried reading it then said it out loud.