One

I don't remember learning how to swim. I think it was just something I could always do. I don't remember the first time my parents took me to the beach. I guess, in a weird kind of way, I was already used to the comforting sound of the waves. I don't remember hearing the story of the mermaids, I just somehow knew that it was true. Sometimes these things happen, when you can't remember the small things that seem so natural to you. It's a little disturbing. There was so much in this world that I was used to, comfortable with. The thought scared me. Being too comfortable isn't always a good thing.

My mind raced with these realizations as I walked through the halls of Seaside High School. I was so lost in my philosophical thoughts until I ran into something...or someone. A yelp of surprise informed me that what I hit was not an inanimate object but a human being. Not just any human being, however. "Watch where you're going!" An extremely familiar voice growled. I looked up slowly and what I saw sent chills down my spine. The ice blue eyes staring back at me confirmed my fear. Standing in front of me was none other than Jackie Nickels. He was your stereotypical jock that all of the girls fell madly in love with...all the girls except me of course. Jackie was just an arrogant kid who needed to learn to grow up but I was one of the few who thought so.

Quickly putting my head down so my dark brown hair cascaded around my face and acted as a mask, I quietly mumbled sorry and walked past the jock. I was in no mood to deal with the star football player at the moment. Fate didn't agree with me. "Hey, hey I know you! You're Dakota, Dakota Lynx right?" Jackie asked and I was forced to look up at him. I nodded, not meeting his eyes. "Hey is it true that you believe in mermaids? I heard a buddy of mine talking about you once and he said you were fascinated with mermaids," Jackie said, his eyes wide as he spoke. I shrugged, uncomfortable with the situation. The fact that people were talking behind my back bothered me but I couldn't let them know that. I was the proud daughter of a brave sailor and I wouldn't be treated in such a terrible way.

Jackie continued to stare at me. His eyes searched me but he clearly didn't find what he was looking for. I was one book that could not be judged so easily. After a few moments Jackie just shrugged. "Well whatever; everyone has their hobbies right? Anyways, sorry for bumping into you. See you around," I blinked and looked around, completely forgetting that Jackie and I were standing in the middle of the busy hallway. He turned on his heel and began to walk away. "Jackie?" I said and the jock turned around, his eyebrow raised. "Tell your friend that if he has something to say about me, he can say it to my face," I snapped and I saw a ghost of a smile on Jackie's face. He nodded and turned, walking away into the crowd of people. I exhaled deeply and began to walk towards my last class of the day, Marine Biology.

I scribbled notes down quickly as my teacher lectured about the ocean and its mysteries. The class was small which was no suprise to me. A small town by the ocean normally made it's residents tired of the salty water but I found it all the more interesting. There was an entirely different world right in our backyard, a world my father had introduced to me and a world he was stuck in. My thoughts immediately went from the lesson to my father, Carl Lynx. He was a sailor who had gone missing a few months back. Missing is what the police had concluded but I knew that wasn't at all what happened. My father, like me, believed in the creatures of the sea, the mermaids. We knew they were out there, waiting. My father knew too much about them and so they had taken him hostage. I told my mother about my theory and she told me I was stupid for believing in the supernatural women. I told her I would prove it, prove that my father had been captured. That's why I had decided to take Marine Biology, to better understand the ocean and its secrets. I would prove not only to my mother but to this town that my father was alive and that there was something in the ocean, something no one could ever imagine.

Determined more then ever I snapped out of my thoughts and returned my focus to the lesson. "Whatever it takes, I promise Dad," I mumbled to myself and continued to take notes on the lecture.