Chapter 19: Dreams Collide

Kieran

Both Jackson and I got in trouble with our mothers for skipping school that day, but we agreed it had been worth it. Both of us felt a lot better afterwards and, as Holt had predicted, we were able to catch up on our work no problem, opting to work together on it rather than on our own.

It was now the weekend and neither of us really had much planned. My mother had somewhere she needed to be on Saturday, and wouldn't be returning home until the following morning. So that meant I had the house to myself.

Friday night was pretty much spent hanging out with my mother and Lucas, and Heath asked Jackson to help him run lines for the play, so that's where he was.

Lately I'd noticed that my mother and Lucas had grown a lot closer, and while talking to them that night, I learned that they had begun dating recently. I was really happy for them, especially since I knew Lucas was a good person and he seemed to genuinely care about her. And I was glad Mom was happy.

I ended up sleeping in a lot more than usual on Saturday morning, not bothering to get up until 10:00 AM. I slept really well, though, so I wasn't complaining.

Something interesting to note was that despite the fact that I slept in a coffin most nights there was also a bed in my room, located near the window. I hardly used it, but it was an option.

Anyway, at about 1:00 in the afternoon, I was sitting around reading a book when my phone started ringing. The ringtone told me immediately that it was Jackson. "Hey, Jackson, what's up?" I asked as soon as I picked up.

"Not too much," he replied, "I've got nothing going on this weekend, and neither does Holt, so it's pretty boring over here at the moment."

"Same here. My mom's going to be leaving in about an hour, so I'll be here by myself."

"Where's she going?" asked Jackson.

"I don't know, to be honest, I just know she's not going to be back until tomorrow morning," I replied.

"Mind if I come over, then?"

"Yeah, that'd be cool," I agreed, "Hell, you could even spend the night if you wanted to."

"Yeah, I'd love that.I just have to let my mother know where I'll be. I can't see her having a problem with it, though."

"Awesome," I said, "See you in a bit, then?"

"Definitely."

As I hung up, I went downstairs to find my mother, who was busy getting ready to leave. Wherever she was going must have been very formal, because she was dressed in an elegant black dress and her hair was done.

"Lucas is going to be here soon," she told me.

"Is he going with you?" I asked.

"Yes, he is. Bram Devein's family will be there as well."

"Interesting," I said, "I just wanted to let you know, Jackson's coming over in a little bit. Is it alright with you if he spends the night here as well?"

"That's perfectly fine with me," said Mom, before walking away.It wasn't too long after this conversation that Jackson arrived. I opened the door and let him in, greeting him with a kiss. "I take it your mom said yes?"

"What was your first clue?" Jackson replied with a smile. "By the way, I ran into this one outside," he added as Lucas stepped inside.

"You're early," Mom noted, re-entering the room. "I wasn't expecting you for another forty-five minutes, at least."

"Yeah, well I guess you're stuck with me now, huh?" Lucas joked.

"Oh, somehow I don't think she minds too much," I countered. "Is Erika going with you guys, by the way?"