Five

With all the stress that came from dealing with a moody teen full-time, two first-graders were a welcome change of pace. Tabitha and Sebastian tumbled around on their oversized plushies as they laughed. The sound of their small giggles brought an uncontrollable smile to my lips.

Though I hadn't left the castle in months, it felt less confining each day that passed. I had time to talk to Crystal more often than I did at a traditional school, and Mildred was always around to keep my cabin fever at bay.

My phone buzzed against the cushion of the window seat. I picked it up and looked at the screen. Rianne. Usually, I would ignore her like all the other times, but I was in a good mood this morning.

"Hey, Kitty," I answered.

"Bunny!" she greeted me. "How are you? How's Portland treating you?"

"I'm not in Portland," I told her, though I should have known better. "I landed a teaching job in upstate."

"That's amazing! I'm happy you didn't have to move back with all of those prudes."

Prudes don't have three kids before the age of twenty-two, but I understood what she meant. "Yeah, me too."

"Well, if you're still in New York, you know you can come by the club and pull a shift whenever you want. We miss our Bunny," she purred.

I smiled at the memories of that place. Not necessarily my reputation with the other staff, but how natural the job felt—how good it made me feel.

It was a great way to bring in some extra cash, especially during the summers when school was out. But now, I didn't need extra money and I didn't need to be pulled back into a scene I was trying to leave. I looked back at Tabitha and Sebastian as they squealed with joy. Helping them was all the gratification I needed right now.

Emotionally speaking, at least.

"I wish I could," I told her, "but it's a six-hour drive from here."

"Oh, you're in upstate," she said. "I'll give you a weekend shift if you'll come visit."

"I can't right now. Maybe some other time?"

"Whenever you're ready, Bunny. You just let me know."

"I will."

"Kisses."

When I ended the call, I saw the time. I stood and went to gather the twins. "It's time for school, little ones." They frowned but made no sounds of protest. "You can't be sad on a Friday. That's the second-best day of the week, remember? Tomorrow is a whole day of fun!"

Their smiles returned. Tabby ran up and hugged my legs before running out of the room. To my surprise, shy, little Sebastian did the same. I stroked my hand over his hair, partially to return his hug, and partially to thank him. When he ran out, I felt a sense of pride.

The more I bonded with the children, the more I started to chip away at the family's walls. Mildred had years on me, but I was making noticeable progress. Eighty-five thousand a year progress, some might say. 

I had been waiting for Mildred to show up for our mid-morning tea break, but she was late—very unlike her. Rather than leaving the playroom a mess, I started cleaning it on my own. I picked up the toys and as I stood up, I noticed a run in my stockings. I tossed the toys into the trunk and bent down to take a closer look at the tear.

A little hole at the side of my ankle and a two-inch rip. Most likely my heel caught it. There goes another perfectly good pair of stockings.

I took a moment to stretch my hamstrings, judging how stiff I had become with months away from my yoga routine. No need to keep up my flexibility if no one is going to use it, I chastised myself. Sliding my hands up the back of my legs as I stood, I ran them over my backside to check the placement of my pencil skirt. I glanced over my shoulder and gasped when I found a figure standing in the doorway. "Mr. Montgomery."