FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

The music lofted through the air. The loud pounding made my eardrums feel as if they were about to bleed.

As the night went on, the music only became louder. I felt sorry for my neighbors until Isla revealed that they were at the party anyway.

People crowded the living room, the majority with drinks in their hands. I recognized a few faces as Isla's friend from college, but most were unfamiliar faces. I hadn't even allowed myself to think of the person Isla had claimed was coming.

It was getting late into the night, almost morning which meant that he most likely wouldn't be coming. I let my nerves calm at the thought. The small buzz from the alcohol had also helped to quiet my nerves.

I needed to escape for a moment.

My room was the one place that was left untouched by the party. As I shuffled toward the safe space, I passed Isla locking lips with a stranger. It was a small victory, being distracted by the stranger meant I could slip by unnoticed, rather than being scolded for trying to leave my own Birthday party.

As the door clicked shut, it took the party with it. The music was still loud, but now muffled. I almost hadn't noticed the stranger on my bed, also seeming to avoid the chaos in the other room.

Her silhouette was covered by a long black dress, that left little to the imagination. Her curves were hugged tightly by the almost sheer fabric. Her breasts were on full display and her long dark hair curved down her spine. It was her eyes that were hypnotic though. A beautiful share of blue that contrasted against her dark skin. I couldn't look away as we stared at one another. She was flawless. 

"Hello," I broke the silence.

She studied me as I had openly studied her. Pink began to rise on my hot cheeks as I realized I had been shamelessly checking her out. A small smirk lifted on the corner of her lips as if she reveled in the fact that I had been caught.

"Well, what do we have here?" she purred. She uncrossed her legs before stalking toward me.

The stranger circled my body, openly examining me as I had her.

She twirled her fingers in my dark hair. "Cute," she finalized, coming to a stop in front of me.

"I'm waiting for a friend," she explained, almost reading my thoughts. "Tall, mysterious looking, sexy as hell. Have you seen him?"

If I didn't know any better I'd think she was talking about my boss. I shook my head.

"Shame," she shrugged her shoulders.

The stranger began to make her way towards the door but stopped just before it. She laid her hand on my shoulder. Her hand was soft against my bare skin, the strap of my dress had seemingly slipped off my shoulder. "Happy Birthday Salem," she said before walking out of the room the door closing behind her.

"How did you..." I started but it was too late, she had already disappeared.

A shudder went through my body.

Everything lately seemed to be turning out very mysterious and strange and I wasn't particularly taking a liking to it.

I took a moment to collect myself. Maybe it would've been better just to hide out in my room for the rest of the night. It was a solid plan but I knew Liv would come looking for me sooner or later and I'll admit, it wasn't the best hiding spot.

I took a deep breath before opening the door.

Everything looked the same, but the hairs on the back of my neck stood to attention. The air was different and I had a feeling it was because he had just arrived. The feeling of his fingers lingered on my hips where I could've sworn he grabbed me earlier in the bathroom.

I saw his figure on the other side of the room. He was with the confident stranger who I was with only moments ago.

They hadn't noticed me staring yet, which was quite surprising since I wasn't exactly being subtle. She was whispering something into his ear which made him alert and look up, directly into my eyes.

I was startled, tearing my eyes away from his as quickly as possible.

I tried to scurry away out of his line of sight and over to Liv. she was still distracted by the same stranger as earlier. I tried to get her attention but to no avail.

I was unsure if his eyes were still on me or if he'd even wanted to talk to me but i wasn't taking any chances.

I rushed over to our kitchen bench, what Liv had turned into a make-shift bar. Grabbing the first alcoholic bottle I could find, I poured myself a shot and downed it. I let the stinging take over briefly as I placed both hands on the kitchen counter. 

"Happy Birthday Salem," I heard from behind me. I could feel the warmth of his presence and his breath on my neck. He was very close, close enough that if I turned around fast enough I could've kissed his luscious lips before he noticed.  Of course, I wasn't going to do that. 

I didn't answer nor did I move at first. He took the opportunity to brush past and pour himself a shot of whatever I had just had. His fingers lightly brushed the top of my hips, sending electricity down my spine. The exact spot where he touched me in my fantasy. 

I distanced myself from him only slightly, but he happened to quickly close the gap as he reached for another bottle to my left. Our lips were so close and I wanted nothing more than for him to push them into mine.

He lingered for what felt like forever and finally pulled back. I let out a silent breath I didn't know I was holding.

"I don't know what you're doing," I finally spoke in a low voice, "but I don't think it's appropriate. You're my boss."

A slight smirk touched his lips. He brought the glass to his lips and took a small sip.  "Boss makes me seem so.... powerful," he answered in his deep velvet voice. "Please call me Malachai."

How convenient, his name so devilish.

"I don't think it really matters what I call you, it's still very inappropriate."

"Then why did you invite me tonight?"

I opened my mouth to answer but stopped myself. The reality was that I didn't invite him to come tonight, but I also didn't stop Liv or tell him not to come. He was here because of me. 

"Listen," I said a bit more sternly. "This," gesturing between us, "is not going to happen." 

I turned my back to him, grabbing another glass and began to pour myself another drink. The gesture was to assure him that the conversation had ended, but it hadn't worked.

I felt his warm breath right on my ear.

"That's not the impression I got in the bathroom."