Thirty Eight

March 21

For the following four days, Saoirse didn't leave Obsidian's side. If Obsidian went to his bedroom, Saoirse followed. If he went into the kitchen, or his office, Saoirse followed.

In the midst of the changing of leadership, Saoirse no longer legally held reign over any territory, putting her in the palm of Oak's hand. Her only defence was to rely on Obsidian to protect her, but even then she wasn't sure how far he would go to do so.

"I have to be in a meeting for a bit," Obsidian told Saoirse from behind the desk in his office. "Are you alright to spend that time on Emaline's territory?"

Across the room on the couch, Saoirse sat with the Pack Law open in her lap, highlighters between her fingers. "I mean," She started, "You know I would prefer not to."

"It'll be fine," Obsidian assured her as he had it all planned out. "I'll have Osric walk with you, he can stay at Emaline's if you want until I'm done."

Her heart jumped at the small ache when she thought of being apart from Obsidian. She hadn't been able to be all week, but she knew what is was like when she was. Feelings of pain and torture. Thoughts from her worst fears that provoked her. Memories that jumped at every clear thought she created. Though, as her eyes showed her worry and anxiety, she reluctantly agreed. She knew this day would eventually come. In werewolf world, everything seemed to happen a lot quicker. The months of recovery she was used to seeing in humans took just one day here. Life was fast paced, and she'd have to move even faster to stay ahead of it.

"Yeah, sure." Her words were short, thick in her throat as she coughed them up.

Obsidian knew the first day would be rough. But it would make the second day easier. And together, they were running out of days until Oak wanted her loyalty fully.

"Mama will be there," He tried to ease her gently into the idea. "Maybe even Odeya. I'm sure you can handle my she-wolves for a little bit, can't you?"

Saoirse scoffed. "You overestimate me."

This made him chuckle as he began dialling into his phone. "Under estimate, you mean. You are more than capable of doing this." And then the line became busy. "Os, she's ready to go."

And just like that, she was out of the office and into the hallway were Osric waited patiently, ready to escort her to the only other safe place from Oak; a female's territory. At least, that's what the Law hoped would keep her safe.

Saoirse took her first few steps from the Alpha's office slowly, treading carefully as if the hallway floor were full of snakes. In reality, she was preparing herself for at any moment to succumb to the drowning feeling. Where the water from her tears welled up the room, and a sudden blanket of sadness would cover her, and then she wouldn't be able to move, just as she hadn't for those first few days. Where only misery and torment were her friends. A place she had just gotten out of, and was by no means ready to jump back in to. However, her first few steps were calm, and easy. Osric followed respectfully in her slow pace, adjusting to the time taken for Saoirse to mentally prepare herself.

This arrangement worked well down the first hallway, and up the first flight of stairs, until the second hallway of which Emaline's territory was located. Saoirse felt her mouth swell as the distance from Obsidian increased. A feeling of warmth flashed through her throat, making her instantly feel sick. Her steps slowed as she neared to the wall, leaning an arm against it for support. She could hear the baby crying from here.

And for the first time in Saoirse's life in Obsidian's pack, the hallway started to look exceptionally similar to the one in Okanag. Even worse, her brain had started to morph the hallway into a similar one, styling it so that she was staring her nightmare in the face.