Chapter 11

Vince anxiously waited to be able to visit Tick again. When the time finally did come, he was forced to go alone because Shannon was no where to be found and he didn't have the time to hunt for her. Tick was already up and waiting when Vincent arrived.
  "Hello Vince!"
He was awfully cheerful, despite the obvious pain in his voice. His body was beaten and bruised.
  "Tick, something wrong?"
  "Nah, I'm fine. No need ta worry 'bout me."
Vince knew it was a lie, but there was nothing he could do to force Tick to admit it.
  "Any hint now as to how long you'll be in here?"
  "Nope"
  "Well what abou-"
  "Wait, wait, wait, Vince can I ask ya' a question?"
  "Yeah, sure"
  "Your eyes..."
Tick's expression turned furious.
  "Vince, they been leavin' jet around haven't they?"
  "Wh- What?"
  "Don't you play dumb with me. 'Ole Tick here knows a jet head when he sees one. There ain't no other reason for you to be all hippity hoppy. Your eyes too. I ain't never seen 'em so bloodshot."
Vincent turned his back so Tick wouldn't be able to point out anything else. He didn't yet respond to the accusations.
  "Vince I warned you and you know it. What kind 'a friend just up and ignores his buddy's help?"
  "Look I know how you feel Tick. I have my reasons."
  "Ain't no reason good 'nuff. You just got excuses."
  "You don't know me"
  "Nah, but I know yer weak"
Vincent spun around in anger and grabbed hold of the fence.
  "Tick, I'd put you in the ground myself if there wasn't a fence protecting you..."
  "Course ya would"
  "That jet keeps me sane. I-"
  "Thats a damn sorry excuse"
  "Let. Me. Finish. If I don't get my fix, my memories start comin' back. Those memories? They're what cause my headaches. They're what make me want to end it all. If it weren't for jet, I'd be a dead man."
  "You are a dead man"
  "Im still breathin, ain't I?"
  "Yeah, but you ain't livin'. Look where you are. There ain't no leaving here. Trust me, I'd know. I'll sympathize with ya' a bit only cuz I don't know but a little bit 'bout ya, but lemme tell ya something. Only a weak man would try ta erase his shitty experiences. Having the power to beat 'em and learn from 'em is what makes you strong."
  "You don't know what it is Ive been through"
  "No. I don't. But I know what Ive been through. My brother? You wanna know what happened to him? The Wardens ordered some guards to beat him nearly ta death, but only nearly. He was still breathin' when I found him. The guards though, they told me to throw him in the fill. They told me that he was dead. I tried to lie to myself and say he was, just so I'd feel decent with myself when I pushed his body in. He was still alive Vincent. I swear to God he was still alive, and of all people I'm the one who did that to him... Even with all that to tote on mah shoulders, you see me wallowing around? You see me trying to make the bad memories go away?"
Tick was on the verge of tears. All of Vince's anger disappeared. He'd never thought about it like that.
  "I'm sorry Tick. I'm-"
  "There ain't no need for an apology. You go on now, stay to long and you'll end up over here with me."
Tick turned away, urging Vincent to leave. So he did just that. He carefully snuck back to the slave homes, where he found his corner once again. There oddly wasn't any jet waiting for him, and he was thankful for that.