Prologue

London, England

London, England

Lady Lorena Cullip saw the Earl of Ashwick the moment she walked into his townhouse and immediately felt as though the last year of her life had vanished. In the blink of an eye, she was the young careless daughter of an eccentric and improvised duke and the daughter of a duchess who was known for her beauty. And while seeing the Earl of Ashwick made her heart flutter at the moments they'd shared only a year ago, her stomach felt as though it were in a continual fall. She felt slightly ill that she'd come at all.

She wasn't ready to reenter society. She shouldn't have come. She didn't belong. Sadly, being poor wasn't the only reason. Lorena was known to cause trouble, but never more than when Ashwick was around.

She turned to leave, but her friend Genie caught her arm before she could retreat toward the door. "Stay, Lorena."

"I can't," Lorena whispered, pressing close so as not to be overheard by the growing crowd. The foyer was full of those guests who had newly arrived. Standing by the stairs were Ashwick, along with his mother, cousin Lady May, and a slew of women who'd all but pressed to him, dressed in an assortment of pastel evening gowns while Lorena wore gray.

She counted at least six unmarried daughters about him as he stood more than a foot over them, wearing an expression that conveyed neither pleasure nor annoyance, and yet still made him beautiful. He was an unmarried earl and far too handsome for words. Never mind that she'd always considered him hers. How foolish she felt, considering that she'd thought herself special to him.

"Lorena," Genie said. "Stay. He invited you."

"No," Lorena said. "His mother did."

"His mother is not... fond of you," Genie told her.

Lorena turned to look at the door. "Ah, yet another reason I should leave." She could barely breathe.

No," Genie yanked on her arm hard enough that Lorena was sure she'd bruise. So, she looked down at her petite friend to find Genie glaring at her. "Ashwick wishes you here. His mother would have obviously never invited you otherwise."

"That does not make me feel better. I'm leaving."

"Lady Lorena," a male voice called from behind her.

She froze and the fluttering in her heart quickly moved to her stomach. She took a deep breath, turned around, and met the face of the man who'd haunted her dreams since the day they met.

Emmett Starr, the Earl of Ashwick, looked gorgeous in his dark suit. His gray eyes were focused on her and in his gaze, she saw both surprise and... happiness. It wasn't a full smile, but still one of his rare looks of pleasure. His lips were slightly lifted on one side, and she recalled what it was like to...

"I'm sorry," Lorena whispered. "I have to go."

"Stay," he told her as he took Genie's hand and greeted her. He turned back to Lorena and did the same, lowering his dark head to kiss her hand. His voice took on a deep seductive tone. "Will you save me a dance?" he asked.