Chapter 03

The Fifth Day of the Valdeston Country Party

Lorena knew herself to be foolish, but couldn't hide her delight as she rushed up the stairs and down the hall that would lead to the guest apartments. She knew her brother and his friends were downstairs playing cards in the parlor, and her parents had gone out with friends on a boat, so this was the best time to move through a certain male's room without being seen.

She'd just made it to that special door when it opened.

A maid rushed out, her cheeks red and her hair undone and uncovered. She didn't look at Lorena as she fled and Lorena's eyes moved to Ashwick.

He was standing on the other side of the room, his dark hair and clothing looking as though he'd rolled himself through his sheets and his eyes were dark as they caught hers.

Maybe he had been in his sheets, Lorena quickly surmised. Perhaps he'd done it with the maid.

She had no idea how long they stared at one another and how long she felt as though a dagger were being twisted in her heart, but the moment he moved, she jumped and started down the hall.

He, of course, was faster than her, and his arm went around her waist and pulled her back. Her body smashed into his, and she fought for release.

"Let me go," she shouted.

He did, but only to turn her around. "Lorena."

"No." The word seemed to come from deep inside her. Her entire body felt hot and cold at the same time. Full of anger and empty from despair. What had she been thinking? She knew nothing about what happened between a man and a woman. Obviously, Ashwick did and chose someone with experience. He'd only been playing with her.

His hands were on her hips and she struggled to break free, but then gave up and simply fought herself. Fought to bury her feelings.

She prayed that the ground would swallow her.

"Lorena," Ashwick said. "Listen to me."

She took a deep breath and met his eyes. "There's nothing to explain. You are none of my concern."

His eyes narrowed, almost as if she'd hurt him, but she knew that to be impossible. Obviously, he had no feelings for her if he were bold enough to sleep with a maid under her own roof. The thought made her stomach turn.

"That's not true," he told her.

"It is," she replied, raising her voice. "And I am no concern of yours."

Ashwick looked around the hall and, in the next second, Lorena was off the ground and being carried into his arm. He used a foot to close the door behind him, never letting her go. "Lorena, nothing happened." His gray eyes held hers, and she could feel him seeking to convey a truth.