Normal Life

Scott's mom was in the kitchen when Stiles finally went downstairs. He had left the demon knife upstairs and felt strangely naked, which was ridiculous because it wasn't like he really knew how to use the thing in the first place. Melissa jumped when she saw him. 

     "Jesus Stiles." Then she did a double-take. "Right, really Stiles. Sorry, I thought for a second I was hallucinating." Stiles smiled a little. "Yeah I thought that when I saw Scott this morning." 

      She smiled widely. "God, we really missed you." He swallowed and looked away. 

      Melissa must have misread his reaction because she reached out to grab Stiles' hands. "I mean, I understand why you had to go. But we did miss you, and I'm glad you were able to come back." 

     Stiles smiled tightly. "I know. Thank you, Melissa. Thanks for taking care of my dad." 

     Melissa's smile got softer. "This must be weird for you, coming back to your dad being married again. It was kind of a hasty decision but. I think. I mean. It works out. And of course I took care of him. He took care of me too, and Scott. He's a good man."

      Stiles squeezed her hands. "The best man. And you both deserve each other. It's a little weird but I'll get over it."

     There was a noise at the kitchen door. Both of them looked up to see Noah, leaning against the doorway. 

    "I was half afraid to get up this morning." He said gruffly. "That you coming back was just a dream." 

     "I know, Dad." Stiles could see the beginnings of tears in his dad's eyes and desperately wanted to prevent that. There had been enough crying last night. He crossed the room and pulled his dad into a hug. "I'm here. And I'm staying."

     Noah seemed to cling for a moment, then pulled away and clapped Stiles on the back. "I know, son. I know." He grinned, turning to Melissa. "What are you making, honey?" 

     Stiles rolled his eyes. They had pet names. Gross. 

     Breakfast was loud. Melissa had made pancakes and eggs with veggie bacon and orange juice. Noah complained about the veggie bacon and Melissa kept asking Stiles if he wanted another pancake and Scott was updating them all on the pack, as he had texted them all that morning calling for an emergency meeting and bought them tickets. They were all flying in the day after next, except for Malia who was driving down. All the pack except for the twins and Kira, that is, who Scott revealed he hadn't been able to get a hold of, despite Aiden basically living with Lydia. Scott also wouldn't tell how or why he had gotten them all plane tickets for the same day. Stiles thought Scott was enjoying planning a dramatic reveal. He didn't really care, as long as he got to see his friends. 

     Noah and Melissa didn't want to go to work. They were in the middle of planning to call in sick when Scott broke in. "It's fine, guys. Stiles will still be here later. It's Tuesday and the pack gets here Thursday. You're both off Thursday so it would be better for you to go in today since it's such late notice and then you can be here when the pack arrives. Besides, I wanted to take Stiles by the clinic to see Deaton." 

     They reluctantly agreed that Scott was probably right. Noah hugged Stiles twice before he left and hung back in the doorway talking until Melissa had to shove him out the door, not without a quick kiss and a stern reminder to not tell anyone that his son whose body they had found ripped to shreds in the woods two years ago was back from the dead.

     Melissa had to leave soon after that. She patted Scott on the back and hugged Stiles, then left with a stern reminder to do the dishes. Scott grinned when she left.