Part 4

17 Years Ago

It was a rainy day at the end of June in Vancouver. The skies were gray, the rain hadn't stopped for two days and this was also the time that most drivers forgot how to drive. These were the days that Nicole hated the most. She didn't think that it was so difficult to just slow down and be more cautious when the rain began to fall, but clearly it was.

Nicole was 18, she had just graduated from high school and she was beginning her new job as a receptionist in a high end law firm in downtown Vancouver. Nicole and her best friend Beth had just moved into an apartment together the week before and so far she was loving her new life.

She was driving slowly down Main Street taking in the sights as she did when she noticed the black Lincoln SUV come to a sudden stop in front of her. She slammed on her breaks, but she was unable to stop in time and smashed into the back end of the vehicle. The air bag in her steering wheel deployed and smashed into her face with such force that she heard a crack. She wasn't sure what broke, but she knew that something had happened.

"Shit," Nicole groaned as she slowly managed to undo her seatbelt and push her door open, "Perfect...just perfect."

Nicole stumbled out of her car and walked to the front where her car was pinned under the SUV. Her car was totalled and she was pretty sure that the insurance company would declare it as a write off.

"Shit," she heard someone behind her say, "Are you ok?"

Nicole felt someone put their hand on her shoulder and turn her around. She looked up at the person who was standing in front of her and all of a sudden a wave of dizziness consumed her.

"Woah," the guy said as he caught her in his arms, "Let's sit you down and get you checked out. Are you ok?"

Nicole was having a hard time getting her bearings and she felt disoriented. Nicole shook her head in response as he took out a Kleenex from his pocket and wiped her face.

"I am so sorry," he said quietly as he pushed her hair out of her face, "I was driving too fast and the stop was unexpected."

"I'm sorry, I should have stopped sooner," Nicole mumbled, "I didn't see...I feel so dizzy...Are you ok?"

"I'm fine, don't worry about me," he replied, "Once we talk to the police I'll take you to the hospital and get you checked out. Were you on your way somewhere? Can I call someone for you?"

"New job...it's my first day," Nicole replied slowly, "Perfect first impression if you ask me."

"Where? I'll call them and let them know what happened," the man offered as he knelt in front of her.

"Thomas Patterson," Nicole replied, "It's a law firm on Georgia Street. I'm the new receptionist. They said they might even be able to give me an assistant job sooner as one of their articling students' needs an assistant. I guess that won't happen now..."

"You're Nicole?" the man asked.

Nicole looked up at the man kneeling in front of her and for the first time she actually noticed him. He was beautiful, the most gorgeous man she had ever seen and he knew who she was. His eyes were a dark brown and they glistened as he looked down at her with concern. His hair was spiky and dark brown and he was about 6′2". She was captivated by him and for the first time in a long time, Nicole Buchanan was speechless.

"How do you know me?" she asked after a moment.

"I'm Ryan Wilson, the articling student that needs an assistant," he replied with a grin, "I guess I made just as good of a first impression eh?"