Part 26

A Month Later

"I wish there was a manual for this sort of thing," Nicole said at her second counselling session with Dr. Mason.

"What do you mean?" Dr. Mason asked.

Nicole sat in silence for a moment, thinking of how she wanted to answer the question. The last four weeks had been a whirlwind for Nicole, Hudson and Ryan. Ryan had been exactly what she needed and he had been a wonderful support system to her since she was released from the hospital. He had taken Hudson to soccer practice, he had done the grocery shopping, he cooked them meals, in fact, in the last four weeks, Ryan had bent over backwards to help them out. She had tried to visit Anna before she left the hospital, but Anna had refused to see her, which she could understand.

"My husband passed away less than two months ago," Nicole began, "But what is the protocol for something like this? I am very much in love with Ryan, but I don't know how long to wait before I take that next step."

"In this situation Nicole, I believe that you were already grieving the end of your marriage before Chad passed away," Dr. Mason replied, "You were preparing for a divorce because you weren't expecting a reconciliation. I, honestly don't think you are moving too quickly. He is exactly what Chad wasn't...always there. Chad got bored, whereas Ryan is going above and beyond to be the friend and the partner that you need."

She had been so appreciative of how much Ryan had stepped up to the plate. She had managed to pick herself up and dust herself off, but she would not have been able to do it without Ryan by her side. She had ended up staying in the hospital for a couple days as it took her that long to get back her appetite. Her morning sickness this time around had been worse than she had ever imagined and with all the stress and the lack of care on her part, she had only made it worse.

"I am very enamoured with him," Nicole said as the smile spread across her face, "I didn't think I would feel this way for someone so quickly."

"Nicole, Ryan was your first love, your first everything," Dr. Mason replied, smiling back at her, "You never expected your relationship with him to end and you never completely got over him. So, unsurprisingly, it was exceptionally easy for you to let go and fall in love with him all over again. This does not make you a bad person. I know that part of you thinks that you are required to mourn your deceased husband for months or even years before you move on, but the other part of you is struggling because your feelings for Ryan are so strong."

"Dr. Mason, I don't know what to do," Nicole replied, looking over at her for reassurance.

"Oh, I think you do," Dr. Mason replied with a smile.

Anna sat in the waiting room of Dr. Mason's office with her sister by her side. A couple weeks ago Anna decided it was time to go to a counsellor to talk through her issues, but what she hadn't expected was that Beth would say yes to coming with her. When it came to her relationship with her sister, she thought she had shot that to hell, but Beth had been nothing but supportive of her.

"Beth, I can't thank you enough for being here with me," Anna said quietly, looking over at her sister.

Beth looked over at her and smiled. Anna couldn't have planned this even if she had tried. Beth reached for Anna's hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

"I was beyond angry when you told me Anna, but I reacted harshly," Beth responded, "I was heartbroken by what you had done to Nicole. You grew up with her, she helped me babysit you. I can't remember a time that she wasn't a part of our lives. But when you called and told me you were ready to get help, but wanted me with you, I couldn't say no. I need my sister and she needs me."