Part 13

Nicole was curled up in the big arm chair in front of the window in Beth and Alex's living room. Her head was resting on a big purple pillow and she hadn't moved since they broke the news to her. She was tired and she didn't think that her almost obliterated heart could take much more.

She had no idea how long she had been curled up in the chair until she heard someone walk into the living room. She looked up and saw Ryan standing there with his hands in his pockets. It appeared that he had come straight from the courthouse as he was still wearing his suit. The top button of his shirt was unbuttoned and his tie was loosened in an attempt to make himself a little more comfortable.

"Did you want to come and eat dinner?" Ryan asked her quietly, "Alex made lasagna and garlic bread."

"In a minute," she whispered as a small smile spread across her face, "I love his lasagna."

"That's what Alex said," Ryan stated, "I'll leave you alone now. We will be waiting in the kitchen."

"Ryan," Nicole called as he turned towards the kitchen, "Wait..."

Ryan turned around and when their eyes made contact, Nicole reached out her hand towards him. He looked at her for a moment and then he made his way to her side and grabbed her hand in his.

"Sit with me?" she asked quietly as she scooted over in the chair to make room for him.

No words were spoken as he sat down beside her in the chair and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Nicole curled up beside him and rested her head on his chest and wrapped her arms around his waist. She wasn't looking for anything more than comfort from a friend at that point and she knew that he understood this. Her heart was too fragile and too confused to make many decisions right now about Ryan or even about Chad. She knew that she had let things sink in and process everything before she made a decision or a choice.

"Thank you for being here tonight," Nicole mumbled as she breathed in his scent, "It really means a lot to me."

"You are important to me Nic," Ryan replied, "I want to watch out for you and take care of you like Beth and Alex do. I want to be a friend you can talk to whenever you want. Don't be scared to call, text or come over. I'll be there when you need me."

Nicole lifted her head up to look at him and she smiled at him. He had managed to make her feel calm, not necessarily better or happy, but he instilled a peace and calmness in her that no one else was able to. Ryan smiled back at her before kissing her on the forehead and running a hand through her hair.

"I'll remember that," Nicole whispered with a small smile on her face.

Beth and Alex were talking and lost in their own little world a little while later when Ryan and Nicole finally made an appearance. Nicole sat down at the table and Ryan placed her still full wine glass in front of her. Beth's heart did little somersaults in her chest when Nicole smiled up at Ryan. It was such a simple gesture in the grand scheme of things, but it was the happiest she had seen Nicole in weeks.

"We were wondering when you were going to make an appearance," Beth stated with a smile.

"Sorry," Nicole replied quietly, "I'm just at a loss. I don't know what to do. Do I confront him? Do I just go with the flow and wait for him to come to me? I have no idea...I guess I was absent when they gave out the rule books for marriage and how to deal with your lying, cheating husband."

Beth bit her lip to keep herself from laughing out loud at Nicole's remark. It didn't matter the situation, Nicole always managed to turn difficult situations into jokes, even if some people didn't like this type of coping mechanism.