Chapter Fourteen

A/N: You guys didn't think I'd leave you hanging on Valentine's Day, did you? ;)

                                          Cassandra

"Are you sure we're going the right way?"

Treading the uneven path, a trail of mud so deep it swallows our combat boots to the strings, has become a trial of endurance. The sky is a dark, ominous presence above our heads. Part of me can't help wondering if the tumulus weather is something Samael has the ability to control.

"I mean, I don't see how anyone could survive long-term up here, vampire or human."

Elijah has to patiently stop every so often to allow me time to catch up, always taking the few moments standing idle to take in our surroundings with suspicion.

"It is puzzling, but I'm sure this is the correct direction."

"I wonder what we're heading into." I smile his way hesitantly, knowing we're still off from the conversation before. Basically the entire day. With a side glance, he flashes me an uncertain, quirky smile, one that causes heart palpitations.

"Somewhere dry... I hope."

This is the journey that never seems to end. Plane, car, boat, car, climbing, walking.

Exhaustion is something I've long since coped with by now.

"I may have trench foot by the time we reach them," I joke.

Elijah glances down at my shoes, extending his hand. "I could carry you, but it will be cold."

"Will it be fast?"

"Very fast."

I nod, willing to do anything at this point. He lifts me into the air effortlessly, high enough so I can wind my arms around his neck for security. This mode of transportation I'm fondly familiar of. Once I'm cradled against his torso, boldy, I nuzzle my face into his razor-sharp jaw, pulled to do it before I can wonder if it's something I should do in this particular moment. He's the physical form of ice, radiating nothing but chill, but I'm aching to be near him, to form as much contact as I can. He doesn't just accept the affection. He moves towards it, needing it as much as I do.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

He nods. "I'm sorry too."

"Let's never fight. It's pointless."

He smiles against my forehead. "We always end up forgiving each other, anyway."

"Yeah, well, you can't stay mad at me."

He peers down at me, lifting a sharp brow. "I thought I did a damn good job of it."

"Oh yeah, you deserve a medal."

He sighs, and with it, the stiffness his muscles have had all day begin to soften. His chestnut hair falls over his face as he kisses my cheek, lingering there until intimacy explodes. In the middle of goddamn nowhere, we always seem to find one another.

His hands ease me closer, spreading against my back. "I... meant what I said."

All I can seem to do is nod. Nod and hold him.

He tilts his cheek to look down at me. His once-bereft gaze is soft, hopeful. "And I also heard what you said. You're right... I know very little of your time with him. I do not understand what you experienced, but I know it is not something I can force you to forget, as much as I should wish it."

He glances around us fleetingly, always vigilant. Perhaps he fears his words will bring forth an audience. I'm not sure. He comes back to me quickly.